General discussion

Need help transfering digital images from one computer

I have tons of digital images that I have taken over the years on my desktop. I'm running windows ME on that system. I want to take all of my digital images off that system, and put them onto a new system that I am building. I have tried to copy them, but there are too many, and it takes for ever. I even purchased a usb to usb cable, and thought the transfer would be simple. That doesn't work. I need to get something that is fast, effecient, and reliable. Can anyone suggest something, a piece of hardware, a program, anything.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need help transfering digital images from one computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help transfering digital images from one computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
With the USB cable, let it finish.

To me, this sounds as if its just testing your patience. It will eventually finish, even at USB 1.1 speeds.

But you reveal a bigger problem. How much are these images worth to you? Hint: Where's the backup?

Hard disks fail or go blank at the worst times. Maybe a backup copy would be a great idea?

Bob

- Collapse -
Good suggestion. Try an external hard drive and let

the back up run.

- Collapse -
Or a USB key

They are available up to 2 GB, I cannot reinforce enough the need to backup EVERYHTING that is important to you regularly. It's not a question of if, but when your HDD will fail. The USB external HDD is a great idea, they usually come with software that makes it a one-touch project.

- Collapse -
Try a network connection

You can network the 2 PCs together with a ethernet cat5 crossoveer cable, each PC needs to have a network card, hook them together and setup PTP networking. The transfer will go very fast. The idea about using an exteral USB dirve will also give you a backup. John

CNET Forums

Forum Info