Desktops forum

General discussion

Need help to find which components of pc is bad

hi
i have this old computer but it runs fine for me for websurfing but sometimes it just stops doing what it's made for. when i open a programm like internet explorer 7.0 it doesn't show the tab bar and home icon as well as arrows. it also sometimes doesn't even start a programm like avast normally runs it fine but sometimes it just says "can't find the avast.exe file." it also crashes alot of time and restarts esspeacilly when i am playing a flash game on the internet. please help me find out which component in my pc is wrong or faulty and i should upgrade it. these are my specs:
Foxconn motherbaord 661FX7MI-S.
intel celeron D 2.0 GHz.
80 GB hatchi hardrive.
LG RW optical drive.
1280 GB RAM.
400 Watt power supply.
Windows XP SP2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help to find which components of pc is bad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help to find which components of pc is bad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you should reinstall xp and your apps

In reply to: Need help to find which components of pc is bad

it sounds like some files/apps have been deleted or their entries removed from the registry.

Collapse -
Reinstall Programs

Reinstall Avast or try AVG.

Run virus scans. Run malware/adware scans with tool such as Ad-Aware 2007 (Lavasoft) downloadable w/free registration at CNET.

Download and install Firefox. Install Firefox pluggins for Flash and other Java apps. Use Firefox for browsing needs. I believe IE to be behind the times, and even the newest version is a Firefox knockoff. After installing Firefox I would try to fix IE as a backup browser.

Last gentlemen seems to be on the same page. Does not sound to be component related. Registry files and corrupt system files could be your issue. Also try cleaning out your system and defragmenting your hard drive.

If these solutions don't work, wash, and look towards other troubleshooting. Look for actual errors and research them.

Best of Luck

GeekInside

Collapse -
Other Tools

In reply to: Reinstall Programs

System Tools you should look into getting to assist with browser issues/hijacks/malware/adware.

HijackThis - It can take some time to learn how to use it but on certain sites if you post the scripts it generates into the forums people can assist you greatly with some PC issues.

CSShredder - Removes some browser hijacking nasties. Don't believe this to be related to your problem from sound of things, but this tool can assist in certain circumstances if you get one of em. Don't know what version it is in or if it is even being updated anymore, but I have a copy of it around always.

GeekInside

Collapse -
"1280 GB RAM."

That's a lot of RAM. I'm going to guess that's a typo and you meant "1.280 GB RAM."

Try this. Since XP runs fine on 512MB reduce that RAM to just 1 stick.

Also tell us about the CPU HEATSINK COMPOUND. Some don't know it has to be applied "just so" and if you pull off the heatsink it needs just a dab so the air voids fill back in.
Bob

Collapse -
Slows down computer

In reply to: "1280 GB RAM."

hi
i would try your way but my computer already runs slow like a tortial. it takes about half a minutes to just bring cnet.com up and i have a very good speed of broadband as well. Tell me why does this happen as well.
thank you for helping

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: Slows down computer

It appears you can't answer my questions so I think it's time you take it to a service counter.
Bob

Collapse -
HEAT Sink

In reply to: Sorry.

hi
i dont have any idea about it because it was build by someone else but i think it has the intel's standard fan and compound applied alredy on the fan
thank you for helping

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.