Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Need help to convert analog to digital video

by s3r3nity1 / November 16, 2004 12:58 PM PST

I have a Sony Handycam (Hi8) and want to take the video and upload it to my computer as digital from analog, edit with software (including a music overlay), and save it back to analog so it can be copied from the camera to a regular VHS tape.

Can someone give me the easiest (and least expensive)way to accomplish this please? I have some understanding about what I'd need, but would like more specifics and advice. For instance, best editing software, etc. A video person told me that I can just buy a converter and that would work. Is that true? If so, which is a good one to use.

Thanks for your help.

Susan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help to convert analog to digital video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help to convert analog to digital video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Best" or "good"? And what determines that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:45 PM PST

Let me be frank. "Best" will be a little expensive. That will be Adobe Premiere with a few add-ons and you'll shell out over one thousand for video editing software.

Or if your needs are like mine you can find a DVD recorder for your PC under 99 bucks which will have some basic video editing (fine for home videos) and you'll get the DVD recorder and software for... under 99 bucks.

To digitize such, I currently use the 49 dollar TV cards from Hauppauge or ATI. Both have video capture software which I use for the capture step.

Total bill can be well under 148 bucks. Or if you want the best, will zoom to a few thousand.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by s3r3nity1 / November 16, 2004 10:54 PM PST

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. However, please excuse my "newbie-ness" but I still didn't get exactly what I need.

*I can get Adobe Premier, but don't understand about the card that I need. Exactly what and can I install easier on the XP laptop than on the desktop win2000?
*Also, sounds like you are saying that I can get a digital video camera pretty cheap, right?
* Have you ever heard of Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150? I've read good and bad about it.
* Isn't Hi8 cheaper than digital "tapes" so what about converting from analog instead? If so, what do you suggest, if anything.

Thanks, again, for all your help. Susan

Collapse -
That's pretty confusing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 11:12 PM PST
In reply to: Re:

It seems you have new questions, but the first one is odd since you ask about Adobe, which is software and then what card, which is hardware. I noted my method to use the ATI/Hauppauge card for capture and video editing software for editing, but your goal seems to not to use each part for what it does.

Or did I miss what you wanted to do?

For laptops, you need to use some USB analog capture devices (ATI and others make these) so the price is still about 99 bucks.

As to your other questions, they are not on topic. Are these new questions?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: That's pretty confusing.
by s3r3nity1 / November 17, 2004 12:09 AM PST

Hi,

No, this was really my original question.

I understand that I need hardware to do the transfer. That is why I'm asking about a card and/or any other equipment (e.g., converter hardware, such as the Dazzle). Then, once I convert the analog to digital and the file is on my computer, I want to know the best software to edit and add effects, such as music. I undestood that you suggested some software, so I am clear on that. It's the hardware for the conversion about which I'm still confused. Thanks, Susan

Collapse -
For software...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2004 12:58 AM PST

Adobe Premiere and the Avid (http://www.avid.com/index_fl.asp) stuff is top tier. Sheer overkill for home movies. The Apple should not be discounted here. It has great features in DVD creation.

As to capture of analog video, the brutal truth is I have used many systems (dozens) over the years and the Dazzle, Ati and Hauppauge will capture just fine.

If you want me to nail which hardware I'd choose, you should reveal if this is a laptop with USB 2.0 or not and then what hardware you have available in your area since this is a world forum.

Bob

Collapse -
8mm analog tapes of 1998
by terenceA / February 10, 2006 8:42 PM PST

Susan---since Nov 2004 you have worked with this. Can you tell me of your experience?
I want to use my 8mm analog tapes to edit with Pinnacle, but my Sony trv280 will not play the tapes.
Is there any device that will transfer the analog tape to my computer so I can edit and create a dvd?

terencepau@aol.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.