Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need help swapping out power supply in ATX case-HP pavillion

by matt r / January 19, 2007 4:54 AM PST

I'm trying to replace the power supply.
Specific model is HP Pavillion 6740C.
Basically, the problem is this case is so tiny that the power cable from the power supply is lodged in behind the hard drive harness(? not sure of the term here) as well as the floppy and cdrom harness. I can't see any place where I can unscrew these "harnesses" (you know, the metal frames that the drives are mounted into) from the case itself, thus gaining access to the motherboard where I can unplug the old power supply and plug the new one in. All I can see is places where there are little divets in the frame of the case, but these look punched in, not like screwholes.
I'm sure this problem probably has a real simple solution, and yeah I've worked on PC hardware before, but my PC has a much larger case and I can freely reach around and plug/unplug stuff.
I'd appreciate any help with this. I'm fixing the computer for a family member who isn't too computer savvy.
Matt

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Those HPs
by william551 / January 19, 2007 5:56 AM PST

have two doors you open on either side of the computer. And you have to take off the plastic face.

Also, they have these boxes that slide in slots at an arc. You unscrew one or two screws and the whole say hard drive/floppy drive metal case comes out.

I think a power supply is going to require that you take all those other things out first (except the motherboard).

Collapse -
HP support
by Willy / January 19, 2007 12:04 PM PST

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!