Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Need help stitching photos to form a panorama

by rccoffee / March 14, 2007 1:03 PM PDT

I have a Win XP/Home computer with SP2 and have Roxio Easy Media Creator 8 installed which can stitch identically-sized photos together and I have just used this successfully. But, a friend overseas just sent me 4 photos of a damaged panorama. The heights are the same but each photo has different widths depending upon where the panorama fell apart into sections and EMC 8 will not stitch them together because the widths are not identical. I have Jasc Paint Shop Pro Studio 9 (then owned by Corel but the name wasn't changed yet).

Does anyone know of a free or inexpensive software that I could use to stitch these photos into a panorama? I also own a Mac with Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0 for Mac installed. I could transfer the .jpgs to the Mac if this would work.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help stitching photos to form a panorama
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help stitching photos to form a panorama
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Panorama Stitcher
by kydna / March 16, 2007 10:51 AM PDT

I've used ArcSoft's Panorama Stitcher with great results. It will make flat panos, but also 360's with aplomb. They have two versions: their Panorama Maker & a new one, Panorama Maker Pro. I love making panos, some with as many as 17 separate photos containing much detail. It stitched them flawlessy! ArcSoft offers a trial version that you can download for free, 40 quid to keep. Below is the link to the product:

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/panoramamaker/

Cheers, Andy

Collapse -
ArcSoft Panorama Maker 3.0
by jbm3238 / March 16, 2007 10:56 AM PDT

I've had this program for several years & it does great for me. I see that 4.0 is current @ $40.

I would suggest trying the free trial with your pictures so you can see the results. I do both horizontal and verticle stiching. I shoot handheld at 5mp and they turn out quite well. A tripod might add additional stability, but I've had little problem. Remember that the more you put together the narrower the result becomes.

I just got a 61" DLP TV and even the wide multiples (4-6 pictures) just jump out. Of coarse you can then pan zoom & pan when watching them too.

The only problem I've had is when getting the panorama picture printed at a store like WalMart or Walgreen's - only the center prints. Still researching that.

Good luck & have a lot of fun.

Collapse -
ArcSoft Panorama Maker is great.
by arcsofthq / December 10, 2008 9:57 AM PST

This application has been working well for me since I started to make panorama pics. The latest ArcSoft Panorama Maker 4.5 supports online order service, which mean that you get the complete panorama pictures printed out directly by ArcSoft. So no need to worry any more.

Collapse -
Get HUGIN Panorama, its open source and EXCELLENT!
by ClosetMonster3 / March 16, 2007 10:59 AM PDT

I have searched around for panorama stitching programs myself and I first came accross PTGui. It stitches photos together great, but its a 30 day trial. THEN, I found Hugin panorama. Just google it and find Hugin at the sourceforge website. There are many tutorials available for it. It is the best because it strictly deals with panoramas, and best of all, its free! Also, there are free programs that plug into it (such as Enblend - which blends pictures so there are no hard edges and there is also AutoPano which puts points on each picture and then lines them up so they are a near perfect fit without much distortion).

Look it up and read the tutorials!

Once you get the picture stitched and the edges are off, just crop the picture. You can use "The GIMP" photo editor (another freeware opensource program that is almost exactly like photoshop CS), or you can use a simple program like "FastStone Image Viewer". That one allows you to crop it easily without a big interface.

Hope you like them!

Collapse -
STOIK Panorama Maker
by alex.ee / March 16, 2007 11:09 AM PDT

Hi, I have used both PSP 8,& X as well as Photoshop Elements, both sometimes leave a little to be desired. I ran across STOIK Panorama Maker 1.0 which has done an excellant job of stitching ohotos together, it doesn't get fussy about the size of the original images, and for me has matched images that the other programs couldn't do. It is rather inexpensive at $19.95, but you can try it free for 15 days. It is available for download on Download.com at the following link.
http://www.download.com/Stoik-PanoramaMaker/3000-12511_4-10599110.html

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thank you
by rccoffee / March 16, 2007 12:01 PM PDT
In reply to: STOIK Panorama Maker

Thank you all for the information. I was worried that no one would help me with my problem but I was wrong. Thanks again C/Net folks.

Collapse -
Autostitch
by jbhenry / March 18, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Autostitch yet. It's completely free and works great.

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Collapse -
AutoStitch sounds good but...
by ClosetMonster3 / March 19, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Autostitch

It seems that the Autostitch program does pretty well, but it says its a demo version only. I am not sure if this program is free to use unlimited, but it may be. I know that on the website it says that they give out licenses for commercial and personal use, although I dont know if there is a cost. The other thing is that if you have a license, you get access to the opensource code.

Hugin Panorama on the other hand is completely free, opensource (along with the free programs that tie into them). Hugin is a Front End GUI that takes autopano, enblend, and PanoTools (and some others) and encorperates them into one program that can actually create a pano much the same way as AutoStitch, but its compleletly free and unlimited!

It can also create panos with only three clicks and no messing with photos at all! Much like Autostitch, it can take pictures straight from your camera, in no particular order or orientation, and arrange, stitch, blend, and output to a 100% (or less if desired) original pano, all for free!

Im only promoting this program because it has done well for me for some time. For advanced users, you can tweak and change many settings if you want more control. Your pick.

Collapse -
PanoEdit
by irka_sun / October 11, 2011 12:38 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.