General discussion

NEED HELP!!! SHOULD I REFORMAT OR ???

Alright I ran Norton it found trojan.adwaheck and startpage, Backdor.jeem, Bloodhound.ex,

Download.tojan, and mhtmlredir.ex. I only quarintined these items bc I was afraid of deleting important

drivers. Then I downloaded AD-ware SE and it found Malware, dataminer, and some other stuff I deleted the first batch but

then java stoped working and then I was afraid to delete any more. every time I run AD-ware now it finds at

least 15-20 bugs and they are moatly malware and some dataminer. The impact is that being on the internet

with my laptop is impossible bc it always redirects me and java dosen't work. the rest of the system

seems fine however I don't use it for very intense purposes

Thanks for the help,
Raha

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: NEED HELP!!! SHOULD I REFORMAT OR ???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: NEED HELP!!! SHOULD I REFORMAT OR ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi Raha

Some malware (spyware, trojan, virus or worm) once deleted can damage the legit applications or files.

I suggest that you run Ad-aware SE scan in safe mode.

Before running a scan using Ad-aware, reconfigure it. Follow the steps how to reconfigure it by going to http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=63481&messageID=752698 (that is Marianna's post).

When done. Scan using updated Norton Antivirus in normal mode.

You might want also to scan online to make sure that nothing is "missed"
Go to Panda Activescan - http://www.pandasoftware.es/activescan/activescan-com.asp
This requires ActiveX instead of Java. Let it disinfect what it find.

As for Java error, what Operating system and browser do you use? Do you use Sun's Java or Microsoft VM?

- Collapse -
RE

I have windows XP home and I have run system restores to try and get java working but that was dumb.There are also some small other ticks, is reformatting hard and does the system really go back to the way it was when you bought it. How much would it cost me if I wanted to reformat to pro bc I heard it's alot better?

- Collapse -
You shouldn't run System Restore to restore..

the system from previous config because you are restoring the infected files Sad

Reformatting should be the last action. Just scan the system using Ad-aware, Panda ActiveScan and also using Anti-trojan program.

You can try to repair Internet Explorer but worry in repairing Java AFTER the infections (spyware or other type of malware) is gone.

CNET Forums

Forum Info