HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

need help setting up pioneer 1019

by downtownbarber / July 9, 2009 3:39 AM PDT

I just bought the pioneer 1019 and I have a panasonic tcp42x1 and twcable high def box. I only have a pair of bose 161 speakers as of now and have no idea how to hook this up. Please help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help setting up pioneer 1019
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help setting up pioneer 1019
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First off read the owners manuals
by jcrobso / July 9, 2009 4:02 AM PDT

The manuals give diagrams on how to hook things up.
If you have a specific hookup question please ask that.

Collapse -
specifics
by downtownbarber / July 9, 2009 7:56 AM PDT

Pedro explained the HDMI hookup portion which was my main problem. I have read that this receiver is just ok with video, so I would like your opinion on weather to do that or go straight to the cable box. Right now I have the speakers hooked up and I'm using an optical cable from the a/v to the tv for audio, however it's not that great because there are only the two speakers and they don't have much bass to them. I was waiting to buy the Mirage nanosat, but you guys know this way better than I do. I am doing this on a budget so any suggestions would be well received. Sorry for my long posts. Pete

Collapse -
sure
by Pepe7 / July 10, 2009 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: specifics

You could also test it out bypassing the Pio and connecting your TW box directly to the HDTV. YMMV. Experiement a little to see which method suits you best. Sorry I can't comment on the Mirage speakers.

-P

Collapse -
bypassing
by downtownbarber / July 10, 2009 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: sure

Right now I am bypassing the Pio because I have read that the video quality on most a/v's is just "alright". I believe cnet's review was that the video was "acceptable". P, what speakers do you like for a smaller room? And do you have a suggestion on what type of dvd or blu-ray should go with this set up. The manual is brutal for this pio, I am pretty new to a/v and I swear this manual is for pro's. All this stuff about assigning and calibrating. My old a/v was nothing like this, so again I apologize for the billion questions. Pete

Collapse -
Head to AVS
by Pepe7 / July 11, 2009 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: bypassing

In the past I've received very specific, granular level help there regarding how to do exactly what you are asking. My knowledge base does not include many specifics on your new Pio, unfortunately ;(.

Hint: If you post a separate topic with 'small speaker recommendation needed', the experts will chime in here. Otherwise, they don't see the actual questions buried within the exchanges. Don't forget to provide as many of the specifics as you can (room size, etc.).

-Pedro

p.s. avsforum.com

Collapse -
Try the following
by Pepe7 / July 9, 2009 4:13 AM PDT

TW HD DVR (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Pio 1019

Pio 1019 (HDMI out) --> (HDMI in) Panny 42X1

[AFAIK you would also connect the Bose 161s to the back of Pio 1019 (L/R).]

Some folks like connecting their video sources directly to the display/HDTV instead of to the A/V receiver, but that sometimes can be a matter of personal preference.

Congrats- it's a nice setup (esp. the 1019) ;).

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
speaker calibration help
by downtownbarber / August 7, 2009 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the following

My pioneer 1019 receiver will not recognize my def tec pro cinema 600 sub woofer. When doing the calibration it tells me to turn up the sub, so I turned it up as far as it would go and it cannot find it. I have the front speakers set up the alternate way that was suggested, which is to run speaker wire from the a/v to the sub, and from the sub out to the front left, right, and center.

Pete

Collapse -
Sounds like...
by Pepe7 / August 7, 2009 1:54 PM PDT

...either a quick post to AVS is in order, or calls to both Pio & your sub manufacturer's support pages ;(. Sorry I can't help.

-pedro

Collapse -
your problem is how you wired it.
by jostenmeat / August 8, 2009 5:50 AM PDT

1. run wires directly to speakers themselves, from receiver.

2. I assume your sub has a low level input, an rca jack, and it might be called something like LFE, maybe not, but you want to connect to the RCA style input from the subwoofer/lfe low level output on the receiver.

3. set all speakers to "small", try 100-120hz, since your speakers are essentially cubes.

voila.

the way you have it now basically uses the subwoofer for the "front channels". It's taking front channels duties, and simply splitting them with the fronts. Well, this is a very watered down explanation, so that I don't freak you out... but that's the essence of it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.