Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help selecting a laptop for arts and technology major?

by y2nyce / July 17, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

I need advice on a laptop that will be able to run programs such as photoshop, renderman and Maya at a decent speed. It should have video editing capabilites and enough memory to store videos and thousands of photo and music files. A good graphics card is a must. I have looked at many laptops ranging from dell, Apple and Boxx but can't decide on any one. The Boxx laptops look great but are too expensive for me. I can only afford to spend upto $2500. Any advice will be appreciated. Please Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help selecting a laptop for arts and technology major?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help selecting a laptop for arts and technology major?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not Apple?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 8:12 AM PDT

At 2500 you get nearly the top of the line from them. Something does not jive with that budget and claiming you can't afford dell or Apple.

I will write that the quest for speed is never ending. Today's 600 buck laptops can make 2 year old machines look sluggish.

There's a free lesson here. Don't over invest in this.

Bob

Collapse -
Choices :

There is not a lot of models that have a good GPU inside.

Look at the Dell Inspiron E1505 ( or 6400 ) with the ATi Mobility Radeon X1400. Some underestimate this GPU but it can be very nice graphics solution. I have this laptop. Please, read my review ! : http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7587-0.html?forumID=69&threadID=175582&messageID=1929522

A good model is a Sony. It has a powerful nVIDIA GeForce Go 7600, a little bit more powerful than the X1400 : http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_FE_Series&ProductSKU=VGNFE690PB&TabName=feature&var2=

I don't recommend a 17" laptop. THey are too heavy and they take too much place. But the advantage is that tehy have a premium GPU.

Asus also makes very good model :

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=61&l3=0&model=1036&modelmenu=1

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=61&l3=0&model=1072&modelmenu=1

http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=5&l2=61&l3=0&model=1095&modelmenu=1

Collapse -
Tell me about Asus parts, service and support...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 8:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Choices :

What a known name, even they seem to falter on motherboard (parts) support. Why go with a no-name here?

Bob

Collapse -
No-name !????????????

R.Proffitt ! Asus makes very nice laptops !

On my European forum, there is a lot of people that own an ASUS laptop.

ASUS is the most popular laptop brand in Europe !

But in America, it is to verify.

The quality is very good of these laptop. Components also.

Collapse -
Here in the US, not so good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: No-name !????????????

Never spotted on retail shelves and no visible support system.

For your part of the world, maybe. Not here.

Bob

Collapse -
I live in Canada but ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / July 17, 2006 9:39 AM PDT

I was thinking that ASUS laptops were good because ASUS makes a lot of motherboard and I always saw that ASUS has a good service support for motherboards.

In Europe, they are very good so I was thinking that this is the samething in America.

So if we forget ASUS, there is any model with an ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 except the MacBook Pro !

Why there is not a ton of 14.1 " with this graphics solution ? It is possible because ASUS have this chip in their 14.1" models. This could fun to have a small laptop wiht a powerful GPU. Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!