Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Need Help Selecting a Laptop for a Computer Science Major?

by mdalcm / July 16, 2006 12:07 PM PDT

Hello everyone,

I need some help here. I am starting to look for a laptop for college, i will be studying Computer Science so i want a powerful notebook. I have been looking all around from the new Apple MacBook Pro to most of the PC ones. If anybody could give me some insight on what to buy it would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to spend to about $2000.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Selecting a Laptop for a Computer Science Major?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Selecting a Laptop for a Computer Science Major?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm...
by mtf612 / July 16, 2006 5:08 PM PDT

What are you going to use the laptop for? i have a very fast laptop(3.8ghz 2mb l2 cache , 2 60gb 7200rpm, 8mb buf, 2 gb 533mhz ram, geforce 6800 256 mbp, etc) but its not very portable and also cost 3.5 grand lol.

I reccomend HP as they have some good portable notebooks that have some power...but if you need a gaming pc, alienware is the way to go (but there is supposively bad support, but since your a computer science major you can probably handle yourself)

PS. What college are you going to? Im in going into 10th grade and want to be a computer sience major myself (MIT or caltech if SATs are good enough). I am becoming A+ certified this summer and love computers. What career are you planning on taking?

Collapse -
answer
by mdalcm / July 16, 2006 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm...

I am actually going to Suny Institute of Technology, its a state school here in NY. I will actually be getting both my masters and bachelors degrees in 5 years. But i just mostly want to use it for my programs, my music. So when i go to the library i can have my work with me. Doesnt have to be too amazing buti want a nice piece to keep up with my desktop

Collapse -
not a direct answer, but...
by linkit / July 16, 2006 8:39 PM PDT

Look at the website for the particular CS department, contact them, or make a visit to see what they recommend for the upcoming semester.

Collapse -
My recommendation :
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / July 17, 2006 1:29 AM PDT

I recommend to students who have a budget like you the Dell XPS M1210. It is small ( 12.1 " ), light and delivers good performances. It also has the nVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 to run the future AERO Glass Interface.

Look at this model !

Collapse -
not a 64-bit CPU
by linkit / July 17, 2006 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: My recommendation :

Dell XPS M1210 is a nice portable computer in general, but not necessarily the best for CS students. The Intel Core Duo is not a 64-bit capable CPU, which is likely to be helpful to CS and EE students.

Collapse -
What program usage
by jelgert / July 17, 2006 1:44 PM PDT
In reply to: not a 64-bit CPU

Are you just going to be using Java or C++ because if that's the case then you don't really need a monster of a computer to do it if your going to use the computer for something more along the lines of 3D rendering say like AutoCAD your going to need something a bit stronger and to my knowledge if its going to be doing some number crunching a 64 bit processor would also probably not be to bad an idea. That said the new Core Duo chips are outperforming the AMD chips this round through so yes if you want the best performance and better wireless I'd stick with Intel. Although if you want that 64 bit processor and are willing to wait Intel should release their Core 2 Duo chip for laptops (Merom) next month I believe since in their news conferance they noted that they would be releasing the chips for servers, desktops and laptops all about a month apart from each other and since the new Core 2 Duo chips are showing up in desktops now I'd suspect in my opinion to see them in laptops by the end of next month. Anyways though this is just speculation if you need the laptop right now and want a 64 bit processor you need an AMD processor.

Collapse -
answer
by mdalcm / July 17, 2006 11:01 PM PDT
In reply to: What program usage

I will be definetly running some java and c++, i just want something powerful so if i have to do something, it will have the cabalilty of doing it. Ill admit my choices are down to Sony, Dell, and Apple, just dont know what to do about it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!