Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help "reinstalling" a hard drive

by jscottm / September 9, 2005 10:38 PM PDT

I have an XP system with 2 hard disks. The 2nd disk which was my d: drive and used as a data drive, became badly corrupted. I decided to completely wipe the drive clean and start fresh with it. I used one of those disk wipe programs that boots the system from a floppy and makes multiple passes to completely wipe everything off from the drive. I think it was called a Gutmann method and wiped the drive with 35 passes. After completing this, I rebooted the system. The drive is no longer recognized. It has no letter designation. I guess all formatting has been wiped off it as well. Perhaps even low level formating (whatever that is). When I go into device manager, however, this particular drive is correctly recognized with no errors. It says the device is working properly. My question is, what must I do to put this drive back into operation. I mean I know I'll have to reformat and repartition the drive but how to do this when I cant very well tell my computer to format drive d: or whatever, when according to "my computer" this drive isnt seen. Any help gladly accepted and most appreciated. BTW, if you could keep your response as non-technical as possible as Im not very computer savvy at all.

Thanks

Jscott

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help "reinstalling" a hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help "reinstalling" a hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Activate it. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 9, 2005 11:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
re: activate it
by jscottm / September 9, 2005 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Activate it. . .

Thanks for the quick response. I went in to Control Panel and there is no "computer management" or "disk management option. Yes, I am logged on as Administrator. What now?

Collapse -
Press Start, Help and Support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2005 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: re: activate it

Then type in...

disk management

There will be help explaining how to use Disk Management and where it is.

Bob

Collapse -
Follow Bob's advice or...
by Edward ODaniel / September 10, 2005 7:01 AM PDT

simply click Start | Run then type DISKMGMT.MSC and click OK.

Now if you have trouble figuring out how to use it make use of the Help menu.

Collapse -
re: Bob's and everyones advice
by jscottm / September 10, 2005 12:38 PM PDT

Ok, I think I'm on the home stretch. I accessed disk management and formatted the drive. The question I have is: The other HD on this pc is listed as a "basic" drive. This one is listed as a "simple" drive. What's the difference, and should it be a basic drive like my c: drive? Also, now that the drive has been formatted (as an NTSC) is it ready to use or do I need to install a partition? I'd like to have the whole drive as a single partition but seem to recall that even though keeping the drive as a single unit I still need to partition it. Is this correct?

Thanks again

Collapse -
You need to partition before...
by Edward ODaniel / September 11, 2005 7:52 AM PDT

formatting.

This might answer your questions regarding simple drive and basic drive (because the answer is neither simple nor basic). I KNOW it mentions Windows 2000 but it applies to XP Pro as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/datacenter/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/datacenter/help/sag_DISKconcepts_04A.htm

SIMPLE - A volume made up of disk space from a single disk. It can consist of a single region on a disk or multiple regions of the same disk that are linked together. You can extend a simple volume within the same disk or onto additional disks. If you extend a simple volume across multiple disks, it becomes a spanned volume. You can create simple volumes only on dynamic disks. Simple volumes are not fault tolerant, but can be mirrored. See also dynamic disk; dynamic volume; fault tolerance; mirrored volume; spanned volume; volume.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!