Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need help reinstalling

by stewart6 / March 22, 2006 11:19 AM PST

Hello all.I formatted my C drive and tried to reinstall W2000 as my system would reboot a few seconds after opening Windows. I Guess I had a hardware or software conflict but I could not run the remove function as Windows kept rebooting, even in safe mode.Having hosed the drive I expected that the reinstall from the 2000 CD would be straight forward but I kept getting messages That a file was corrupted or missing. I assumed that the corrupt file was on the 2000 CD but the system shut down at the same place when I tried to set up with the recovery floppies.I don't understand this as I was running from the 2000 Cd on to a clean drive.Can someone enlighten me on what's happening.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help reinstalling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help reinstalling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Formating? Floppies? Things I don't use...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 11:29 AM PST
In reply to: Need help reinstalling

When I install Windows 2000, I boot the 2000 CD and take it's offer and remove the old partiton. Then I use the 2000 installer to create a new partition and it prepares the drive for me. Time and time again I see issues by formatting with dos or other tools.

Floppies? Another item I don't use. Too hard to get the right ones and another source of woe.

-> You may have real hardware issues such as overheating CPU or "other" but with so little about the hardware I can't guess.

Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob.
by stewart6 / March 22, 2006 12:13 PM PST

I'm pretty sure my original problem was caused by one of two programs I installed but I couldn;t uninstall them because of the rebooting. I tried the system disk install exactly as you describe several times and only tried the floppies after the system disk didn't work and as the error message was for a corrupted file I assumed the file must be on the system disk as the C drive had been formatted.What I don't understand is why the install failed at the exact same point on the file entry on both install types and when presumably the C drive was clean after formatting. I've never had any problems before, formatting and reinstalling which makes this the more frustrating. Regards Stewart.

Collapse -
If that worked before, the hardware is now suspect.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2006 12:19 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Bob.

Or the CD or CDROM drive is aging. So far there's no clue in your post except a method I've learned to never use (formatting or floppy install.)

If the machine is fairly old try cleaning off the heatsinks and check the fans. Try another CD drive too.

Bob

Collapse -
Reinstalling
by mkm558 / April 1, 2006 2:32 AM PST
In reply to: Need help reinstalling

If you are having trouble booting from CD, then I agree with Bob. Have you tried flashing the bios? Sometimes, very rarely, the bios chip becomes corrupted and needs to be flashed. I have had this prob with an xp machine. I have had many headaches with win 2k, many of which were operator stupidty (mine), and I have been able to figure MOST of them out.
While I am not expert on 2k, I have used it for 3 years now, in a work environment.

In short, check for boot sector viruses. Like Bob mentioned, fans and other hardware. As a last resort, flash the bios with an updated version.

I hope this helps.

Mike.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!