Computer Help forum

Question

need help recovering a corrupt wordpad (RTF) file

Hello,

My computer froze and I had to shut it down without going through the normal shut down process. I had saved a wordpad (RTF) file prior to shutting it down. However, after restarting the computer and opening the file, a huge chunk of text was unrecognizable and now looks like this:

\'903V\'b9\'89\'12'<\'83\'f62\'bc\'fc1(\'1dB\'9f\'16\page\'02 \'02

\'b1#I'&r\'a6\'d62\line\'fe\'f27\'1c\'c9\'eb'\'b6S\'b8\'02 \'02

N=\'8f\'a8\'a1c\'bc\'a9\'8c\'11cm\'90>D)\b0 ;r\'18\'02 \'02

\'02 \'dba\lquote\'b4h\'df\'8b\'aeg\'14MHN\'cf\'ec)\-\'a7\'c5a\'02

etc. Is there any way to convert this "code" back to normal text? This happened to a few of my .rtf documents, which are now corrupt. Is there some software or website I can use that will recover the text of the original document? Please help! Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help recovering a corrupt wordpad (RTF) file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help recovering a corrupt wordpad (RTF) file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What version of Windows?

In reply to: need help recovering a corrupt wordpad (RTF) file

What version of Windows? You didn't say, and I'm afraid my dog broke my crystal ball. If Windows 7 or 8, you can retrieve a "previous version" via Windows Explorer.

Collapse -
Windows 7

In reply to: What version of Windows?

Sorry for not mentioning that. The previous versions are available, but only from several days before. A lot of new text was entered in those few days, so I was hoping to salvage it somehow.

Collapse -
The only way would be from your own backups

In reply to: Windows 7

If you don't have your own backups, you're out of luck.
When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Collapse -
thank you

In reply to: The only way would be from your own backups

I'll definitely get an external hard drive. Wish I would have done it sooner. Thanks for the help

Collapse -
the reason I thought it still might be salvageable....

In reply to: The only way would be from your own backups

is that when I search for some of the old text in "search programs and files," the my computer finds the correct document. But then when I open that document, the text I searched for is no longer there -- it is encrypted in that strange code. But it seems the original text must be *somewhere* on my computer, because it finds it when I search for it.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The reason I still think it might be salvageable....

In reply to: need help recovering a corrupt wordpad (RTF) file

is that when I search for some of the old text in "search programs and files," the indexer finds the correct document. But then when I open that document, the text is no longer there -- it is encrypted in that strange code. But it seems the original text must be *somewhere* on my computer, because it finds it when I search for it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.