Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need Help Please.

I do a lot of downloading for my sims game. I was using the windows "unzip" tool and I wanted something else. So I downloaded a zip program but did not like how it worked so I uninstalled it. But now my windows unzip tool will not work. I do not even get the option anymore to unzip.

Even when I click on download (for a sims file) I do not have the option to open. Only save. Before I had the open option then I would use the windows unzip program and all was fine. But now I can't use it. ANd the unzip program I want will take 6 hours to download as I am dial up. So I was going to wait until I get cable to download that one. Which will be Tuesday.

Any idea's?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Please.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Please.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need Help Please.

In reply to: Need Help Please.

Use System Restore to when it worked the way you wanted.

Bob

Collapse -

Collapse -

You May Want 2 Try Inserting XP CD, Cancelling It If Autorun Is On Then, Start> Run> Type In: sfc /Scannow. Possibly The Original Builtin Unzip Had A Protected File Changed. Failing This You May Have 2 Search Thru The Registry 4 All Instances Of The Unistalled Unzip Utility & Remove Them

Collapse -

Speed of download transfer is all-important, especially with some zip files, as they can be corrupted with a long ddownload time.

By this time you should have got cable installed, but you could try this programme anyway, it's from Speedbit, and is called Dowload Accelerator Programme. It works by getting the same programme (or file) from several different mirrors and adding them together, so a 20Mb download that could take maybe 2 hours, will now take only about 20 mins using 10 mirrors!

Believe me, it works, and very efficiently too, I have a 512Mb Broadband connection, but I still use it. You might also try WinZip for the latest version, as yours may have become corrupted (I have WinRar as well, but rarely use it).

You don't say, but try using a good anti-virus programme - preferably one with it's own firewall system and pop-up-blocker system, and something like Ada-aware from Lavasoft. Between them, they'll get rid of most unwanted parasites for you.

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!