Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

need help please

by tiger62 / October 8, 2009 8:52 AM PDT

hi, i have a Dell latitude c640 laptop, running xp pro. my prob is that i went to command promt to format it,when i asked it to format it,it tells me my data will be lost proceed with format y/n
i type in y
then it say's , cannot run because the volume is used by another process would i like to force a dismount y/n
i type in y
then is say's i cant because it cannot lock the drive the volume is still in use
how do i format the laptop? can someone please help me PLEASE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows won't purposely destroy itself....usually.
by Steven Haninger / October 8, 2009 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: need help please

What you're experiencing is normal. You can only format the hard drive by booting from another device such as a CD ROM or floppy disk. Maybe if you explain what you want the end result to be, you can get a better answer.

Collapse -
need help
by tiger62 / October 8, 2009 10:11 AM PDT

what im trying to do is to totally wipe the hard drive to many virus's , way to many for me to get them all (this is my sons laptop)

Collapse -
What do you plan to do . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 8, 2009 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: need help

after you format the drive? Do you have the restoral CD? Or a copy of the operating system and all the device drivers? If not you're going to end up with a useless laptop. You can't just format the drive and not reinstall the OS and drivers.

Tell us more.

Collapse -
need help
by tiger62 / October 8, 2009 2:15 PM PDT

yes i have the disc to setup the operating system

Collapse -
Re: formatting
by Kees Bakker / October 8, 2009 5:52 PM PDT
In reply to: need help

The XP setup will let you format the drive during the install. No need to do it before. Just boot from your CD and start installing.

Kees

Collapse -
need help
by tiger62 / October 8, 2009 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: formatting

thank you all very much for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.