Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

Question

Need help: playlist is there, but player can't see it

by leneal / May 14, 2011 6:45 AM PDT

I am fighting with a new Sony MP3 player NWZ-E354. The player is working entirely fine, EXCEPT it cannot see my playlist.

Here's the situation. On my XP SP3 machine, I created a playlist in Windows Media Player v.11, sync'd my library and playist with the device, and can see it on the device (using windows explorer). However, when I tried to pull the playlist up on the device, I got the message: "No Playlists Available. Please connect to compliant software or device and transfer playlists." All of the songs are there and play fine, but no amount of tweaking and resyncing worked.

Wondering if it might a file type issue, I recreated the playlist using Media Monkey and synced from that app. Playlist copied over, but still got the same message.

I then tried installing the Sony content transfer software. No change.
Updated the Sony software. Same message again.

I tried the Sony on-line tech support and gave up after an excruciating hour of incomprehension on their side. After hours of surfing, I cannot find anyone who has had and solved my problem.

I've now saved the list in three different formats (m3u, wmp, and pls), and all three versions of the playist can be seen on the device in windows explorer. The player simply cannot see any of them.

So I am stumped. Any advice? Please tell me there is something simple I'm missing...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help: playlist is there, but player can't see it
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help: playlist is there, but player can't see it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
This model does not list Playlists as supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 7:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Need help: playlist is there, but player can't see it
by leneal / May 14, 2011 8:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Grinding this finely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

It does note "playlists" but not a word about WMP Playlist files.

For example at the link I provided "For details about supported file formats, see [Details]." and you click details and the playlist files you noted are not on the support list.

This is why I write there is likely something amiss here. i.e. no WMP playlists for this machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Here's the supported file list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2011 9:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the sleuthing!
by leneal / May 14, 2011 2:22 PM PDT

Really appreciate your pointing me in the right direction. So I need to convert one of the playlist files into a format the player recognizes. Any conversion program you would recommend?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 12:55 AM PDT

I couldn't find any documented playlist format or file. It's as if the playlist is made in the player. I didn't read the entire manual (don't own this player) but was looking for why it was giving you trouble.

Try that. Make a playlist in the player and see if you can find it via the computer.
Bob

Collapse -
Sigh ...
by leneal / May 15, 2011 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I've looked and looked, but I'm pretty sure that there is no way to create a playlist on the player itself. On one the manual pages you linked above, it says: "Playlists are created by using Windows Media Player. For information on how to create a playlist, refer to the Help of Windows Media Player."

Collapse -
The documentation is not good enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2011 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Sigh ...

And since the playlist is dependent on WMP, and WMP gets updates without notice from MSFT and such can change as MSFT issues updates, it's a house of cards.

The ONLY thing I can offer is to look at what's not stock on the PC. For example a friend installed a new Antivirus SUITE with "privacy protection" and the troubles (like this) began.

It took a week of pondering and stories to figure that one out.
Bob

Collapse -
Appreciate the help, Bob!
by leneal / May 15, 2011 9:20 AM PDT

I'll see if there's an AV or other conflict, but in the meantime, I'll live with my workaround -- putting the songs in a series of folders and letting the player go from one folder to the next. Not a very efficient solution, but it'll have to do.

Bob, thanks for helping me noodle this through. You've been a big help. If I find a solution, I'll post it here, in case others ever have the same problem.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.