Linux forum

General discussion

Need help: PAN settings with bluez-4.78

by hcsini / November 7, 2010 9:13 PM PST

Hi all,
I was using bluez-4.56 in an ARM based embedded product and was using PAN in NAP role. It was working fine.

Today I tried using bluez-4.78, with the same CONF files that I had been using. However, the NAP refuses to PAN connection from the remote BT device.

Before I go into details, I would like to just check if any of you guys also faced starting problems with PAN on bluez-4.78. Are there any basic setup changes that I need to do with bluez-4.78 as compared to bluez-4.56?

Any help is really appreciated.

HC Srinivasa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help: PAN settings with bluez-4.78
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help: PAN settings with bluez-4.78
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is it something to do with BLOCKED property?
by hcsini / November 8, 2010 1:17 PM PST

Is the PAN connection refusal in 4.78 something to do with the BLOCKED device property introduced from Bluez-4.65 onwards?

I see that a device property called 'blocked' is added from Bluez-4.65 onwards. Is the PAN connection refused by the NAP because of this? -- JUST GUESSING.
If so, how do I make the default property to be UNBLOCKED?

Some additional info: With the same setup SPP connections are working fine.

Collapse -
PAN Changes in Bluez-4.69
by hcsini / November 8, 2010 10:29 PM PST

After some tracking I discovered that Bluez-4.67 works fine with the same setup as for Bluez-4.56. However, Bluez-4.69 FAILS!! Bluez-4.68 seems to have some problem wherein the Bluetooth adapters are not even seen by our FW.

So, something that changed for PAN between 4.67 and 4.69 seems to NOT work with the setup used for 4.67 and below. I see that NetworkServer is introduced in 4.69 onwards.

If any Bluez developers out there OR some experts in Bluez PAN settings, can you please provide some input as to how and what setup needs to be changed in Bluez-4.69 to make PAN profile work in NAP role?

Additional info:
In Bluez-4.67, our product publishes "Bluez GN Service", "Bluez-NAP Service", "Network Access Point" and "Serial Port" services.

The same product built with Bluez-4.69 publishes only "Network Access Point" and "Serial Port" services !! The BT device on my laptop fails to connect to the "Network Access Point" service.

Any help is really appreciated.

HC Srinivasa

Collapse -
Sounds like bug
by GODhack / November 10, 2010 4:41 PM PST

You should report this in Bluez bugzilla. Or in #bluez on

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?