HolidayBuyer's Guide

Storage forum

General discussion

Need help: OWC or Seagate for portable video editing HDD

by ajmrkva / August 5, 2009 2:50 PM PDT

I decided I can't go on any longer without a portable HDD for video editing (can't upgrade my laptop for another 7 months thanks to Applecare's restrictions). So I scoured the web for a 7200rpm+FW800 option and boiled it down to either getting the Seagate 2.5 500GB 7200rpm HDD with OWC FW800 enclosure (~200$) versus the Seagate Freeagent Go Pro of the same specs (190$).

I also know that Lacie has the rugged option but it is 320GB and more expensive than the Seagate for less space.

Nevertheless, I can't decide between the two. On the Seagate hand, I'll have a 5 year warranty versus 3 years for the Seagate drive and 1 year for the enclosure. On the OWC side, I can always switch out the drive without voiding any warranties since I put it together myself.

What do you guys think. I think I'm leaning towards Seagate's warranty but want to hear some wisdom before swiping the card and a good chunk of my pay check.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help: OWC or Seagate for portable video editing HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help: OWC or Seagate for portable video editing HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this temp space or "storage"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 9:22 PM PDT

Why I ask is that all these drives eventually suffer the same fate and sooner than most internal drives. Besides the drive, what backup copy is needed?

Collapse -
Both, a place to store what I am working on temporarily
by ajmrkva / August 6, 2009 3:19 PM PDT

I haven't heard that these drives have a shorter lifespan. Is there an article you can point to? Why do they have a shorter life than most internal drives?

Please fill me in on more details.

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 9:59 PM PDT

You can read this forum and many others to learn this. Of course you could learn it on your own. After decades in and around computers of all shapes and sizes this is what I've learned. "Backup is learned rather than taught."

While we can teach, write about backup each new user appears to question the need for backup until they suffer loss. Then they no longer need to be told or taught.

Sorry about that but it can upset some when you write it harshly.
Bob

Collapse -
I see, but what is the best I can do for a portable solution
by ajmrkva / August 7, 2009 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry no.

So I backup everything I have on the portable HDD, I still need a portable HDD for the work that I do. You say that the drives I mention have a shorter life, then I ask which drives have the longer life? Is this a portable vs. desktop issue, a 7200 rpm issue?

I do video editing on the go and need a solution for carrying around files larger than my laptop can hold. It sounds like it doesn't matter what drive I get as long as I back it up. Is that correct?

Collapse -
You've got it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2009 9:27 AM PDT

I've seen all makes and models show up in need of recovery. I can't say that any maker has one that is better than all the rest.
Bob

Collapse -
Cool. Keeps things simple I guess.
by ajmrkva / August 8, 2009 8:43 AM PDT
In reply to: You've got it.

So I'm just going to put together a 500GB solution that is 7200 rpm for video editing, and make sure to back it up.

Thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
Also, if what you say is true, then
by ajmrkva / August 6, 2009 3:20 PM PDT

all the more reason to get the Seagate with 5 yr warranty, eh?

Collapse -
(NT) That warranty won't save the data.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2009 10:00 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Shop carefully ...only selected HDDs have 5 year warranties.
by VAPCMD / August 8, 2009 10:27 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.