Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Need help, Outlook Express email files to new Vista Mail

by mgmphd / May 27, 2007 5:34 AM PDT

Good day,

My old PC crashed. The new PC has MS Vista Mail system. I copies my old hard drive files to the new hard drive. I found my Outlook Express inbox directory but it is one large .dbx file. How can I open that or copy that to the new Windows Mail directory so that I can open and view my old Outlook Express inbox emails in my Microsoft Vista Mail inbox directory? Thank you for your help.

Old PC used Microsoft Home XP operating system
New PC has Microsoft Vista operating system

Thanks and regards, Michael

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help, Outlook Express email files to new Vista Mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help, Outlook Express email files to new Vista Mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can just import...

Copy that database file to your new computer, then from within Windows Mail go File->Import->Messages->Microsoft Outlook Express 6->Import mail from an OE6 store directory and then browse for the database file. It should import all of the e-mails within moments.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
import does not work
by jan-peters / May 31, 2007 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: You can just import...

I've tried your suggestion but i got en arror message, ik renamed the Outlook Express source file inbox.dbx file to inbox-old.dbx but Winmail Vista does not import it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.