PC Hardware forum

General discussion

need help on what power supply to buy??

by howell / September 2, 2004 1:27 AM PDT

i'm planning to change my power supply because it is shuting off by itself, and i'm thinking that my power supply has something to do w/ it.I dont have worm on my pc i have scan it w/ my antivirus. what is the best power supply that suit my hardware? and by the way my budget is only($40 to $60).

this is the specification of my pc

processor: P4 2.40GHz
motherboard: asus P4S8X
memory: generic 256ddr
video card: nVIDIA geforce4 ti4800
harddisk: 40gig seagate 5400rpm
40gig seagate 7200rpm
cd/dvd rom: asus 16x dvd rom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help on what power supply to buy??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help on what power supply to buy??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: need help on what power supply to buy??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 1:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Willy / September 2, 2004 2:18 AM PDT

The p/s unit is the most underrated device in your system and while it may appear "non-glamourous" it does whatever it takes to get things done. You can find many a brand out there for under $60, but I suggest you look at Enermax and Antex(sp) units for a truly stable output and they may cost more but not that much when you consider how it supports the overall demands of the system. I further suggest you get a 2-fan p/s unit for better cooling. Google for the price range, etc. but get at least a 350W or better, 400W being preferred.

good luck ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
sure of the cause?
by frankzxcv / September 2, 2004 2:29 PM PDT

are you sure this isn't a temperature problem causing the shutdown? oh well -- if your PS isn't big enough, may as well replace it. I have an enermax that has served me well - reasonably quiet. --fj

Collapse -
by ITVern / September 2, 2004 9:00 PM PDT

It may not be the power supply at all. If it is not, then replacing it probably won?t help. I would say to look at your power options in control panel first to be sure it is not set to power off after a certain time. You should also check the power settings in the BIOS. If you do get a new supply, don't bother with anything lower than a 400 watt.

Collapse -
by howell / September 3, 2004 3:35 AM PDT

i have check the power monitor on my bios. it seem that my voltage is varying form this values:

vcore voltage 1.52v-1.55v
+3.3v voltage 3.04v-3.05v
+5v voltage 4.97v-4.99v
+12v voltage 12.09-12.16v

and by the way the power supply i'm using is just 300w. here's my problem sometime when i turn on my pc it won't turn on i should slam it first before i can turn on.hehehe and sometimes pc turn on and i'm using it properly then it suddenly shutoff by itself, or sometimes i turn on then it is starting looping on and off. this causes my harddrive to have an bad sectors....

Collapse -
Great way to burn up a motherboard. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2004 3:41 AM PDT

Using a too small power supply causes the motherboard capacitors to work overtime. It also can contribute to BLUE SCREAMS OF DEATH (BSOD) with a variety of errors and as the power dips, you get hard drives marking bad sectors.

With proper size supplies being cheap, I always wonder why people fit such small units.

Bob

PS. Yes, it's Blue Screen Of Death...

Collapse -
Re: Great way to burn up a motherboard. Here's why.
by TECHNU / September 3, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

BOB,

It seems most ppl opt for the smaller to save price.

I would go with what everyone else has recommended so far. Enermax or Antec being good ones. Go for around the 400w minimum.

AJ

Collapse -
by jjcool / September 3, 2004 7:22 AM PDT

are you sure you arnt overheating those voltages you show are fine there all within the proper limit.

these are mine

vcore = 1.76
+3.30v = 3.28
+5.00v = 4.75
+12.00 = 12.22

on a second look may i just ask what proccessor you have the vcore looks a bit low.

Collapse -
by ozos / September 3, 2004 11:42 AM PDT

alright w/o you telling me I know you have an AMD Athlon or Duron CPU...Pentium 4 NW's run in the 1.5v range.

I will have to suggest the Forton Source 530W unit, another thing to look at...do you have your computer on a power strip? Try plugging direct into an outlet that has nothing else plugged into it (I know it causes surge issues, you also DO STILL NEED a higher wattage unit...I had a 450W with acceptable rails give me some trouble with that issue, I ordered up a Forton and now I just run direct to wall...I wonder if I needed the Forton)
but anyways I would try plugging into an un-occupied outlet and get a 400W+ unit, I would reccomend 530W unit from FSP...but then again I just love the power (but not the weight) of the FSP unit.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.