General discussion

Need Help on HDTV--Dazed & Confused

I am trying to decide between the the Sony 34 Wide Screen Tube HDTV and a 43" Rear Projection.

While I am low tech, I have read the very informative materials in CNET, in addition to Consumer Reports and other sources.

We watch a lot of DVD's, currently have digital cable and an older tube NEC. Never had HDTV or Surround Sound.

Regarding Rear Projection, I had been focusing in on the Sony KDF-42WE655 Grand WEGA. It receives a 7.6 rating from CNET. I then noticed that Sears on line had a very good price on Panasonic LCD 43" PT-43LC14.

The CNET comments about the Panasonic were generally positive. However, comments on Amazon were overwhelmingly negative. Primarily due to frequent changing of lamps.

What are your thoughts regarding the two HDTV's above. Is it common to have five lamps in two years in any brand? Would the extended (and expensive) contract cover such problems?

Regarding the 34" Sony tube, I understand that the 955 has built-in HDTV while the 420 does not. Outside of that, would the "picture quality" be the same for both? I don't mind continuing to use a cable box.

Okay, last point is on Home Theaters (I know this is long). I like what I have read regarding the Sony DAV-FR9. The question is do I really need that much?

I will use the system almost exclusively for DVD's and some TV. I use a separate sterio system for music. Would some other less expensive HTIB give me great DVD visual and sound--perhaps the Pannasonic SC-HT920? I don't mind paying more if there is a real difference.

BTW, I get totally lost in the various connections, component or otherwise on the HDTV's and the HTIB. I know I will watch DVD's, some TV, and an occasional VCR. The kids will play various video games when they are home.

Please advise as to the questions above. Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need Help on HDTV--Dazed & Confused
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need Help on HDTV--Dazed & Confused
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
info on the 34 inch 955 or 420

I also faced the decision between the 955, 420 and XBR. I ended up choosing the XBR primarily because the picture quality is the best between the 3 34-inch tvs. The picture quality of the 955 is closer to the quality of the XBR; the XBR having the best picture between the 3. The price between the 420, 955, and XBR is about 300-500 between the 3 models. The other reason I chose the XBR is because the of the warranty. The XBR has a full 2 years on the labor, parts and picture tube. The 955 and 420 has 1 year on the parts, 3 months on the labor (2 years on the picture tube).

Lastly, the other to look out for is the weight. The 955 and 420 may be about 150 lbs with the XBR topping out at 200 lbs. Good luck; all three tvs are good, just depends on what you would end up wanting.

- Collapse -
Sony 34" Tube

Thanks for the fast response. I was also attracted by the two year warranty. Does the XBR have a different type of filter, resulting in a better picture. Or, is the difference due to other factors?

Thanks again,

- Collapse -
check www.sonystyle.com

to be perfectly honest, I don't know if its the filters. You can check out the website, print out the spec sheet for each one and compare. If you were to do a side-by-side comparison between the XBR and HS420, you'd see a difference. That difference is not as apparent between the XBR and XS955. Locally, Good Guys had all three sets and I just compared the picture quality. From the Sony website, you can see if there is any authorized retailer near you and see for yourself.

BTW, I have the XBR and pick up OTA HD signals with an indoor UHF antenna. So far, so good. I just need to get a good dvd recorder and sound system (HTIB?).

ahi

- Collapse -
sony... my bad experience

I have a sony hd rear projection TV. The main video processing unit broke 2 times on the thing, and it is less than 5 years old. $700 fix each time. I would stay clear. I am going to junk it and buy a mits DLP TV. I have a friend with a Mits that he has had for 10 years now and it has never had a problem. Wish I could say the same about my TV.

CNET Forums

Forum Info