Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Need help on designing macroblogging site

by fairgamer / March 26, 2014 10:44 PM PDT

We need suggestions from some programmers with background in coding.We are planning to build a macro rather than micro blogging site similar to twitter.The site is temporarily called MeetMega(http://meetme.ga).

Problem faced:
1.too much similarity.Why would anyone switch to our website just for increasing tweet size(1000 chars)

2. Would we merge facebook and twitter and is there any issue(legal or practical) e.g. like, pages, tweete etc.

3. How to scale the website as more than 5000 visitors, the site starts to lag using mysql, ngix(apache)

this is link
Your comments would be highly appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help on designing macroblogging site
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help on designing macroblogging site
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2014 1:45 AM PDT

I see I can't get around that site without revealing email and more. So all I can see is the sign up page. May have folk turned off from the beginning.

As to SQL speed I rarely see any speed drop with 100K records so I'd talk to your DBA about your code. I'll note the classic goof is SELECT *. While they teach that in classes, you get to unlearn it later.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your comment
by fairgamer / March 28, 2014 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Just one.

1. This was done in order to prevent spam .

2. Yeah we use MySQL but the problem faced is more towards the slow response from server as it gets overloaded with multiple requests and simultaneous cron=jobs to check any new update.Towards queries, we have used prepared statement to execute and retrieve results using for loop.Yeah , we are still in a classical goof of select *, as we are still university grads.
For scaling, purpose now we are working on using a script to load balance equally on all our VPS's whenever there is overload on one.However some of our friends are suggesting Cloud Hosting options like Amazon EC2.Can you guide us about that prospects.

And thanks for your kind comments

Collapse -
Select *
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2014 4:32 AM PDT

When you get that corrected you may find some relief.

As to cloud hosting, a lot changed over the past few weeks so my advice is out of date. Wow, a loaf of bread lasts longer than this area of knowledge.
Bob

Collapse -
I tried to visit the site
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 28, 2014 1:19 AM PDT

but it didn't load for me.

Re: question #1 and #2, if you've already decided on your business model and are in the planning stage, I don't think it's helpful to have these doubts. These are precisely the questions you'd get from a user or investor, so if you, the creator of the product, doesn't have the answers, who will?

First, you need to come up with an edge (or three or four edges) and then test your hypothesis. For example, you think an edge is more characters. I would survey a few hundred people, in the demographic you are targeting, using well-phrased questions, to assess whether there is a need for that.

I would also not look at where the world is today, but where the world is headed. Don't create a product that will slightly emulate what's already out there, but think about struggles you've run into personally when using X or Y service. Mobile is definitely a factor today, but I'm sure there are capabilities and features that can take even that to the next level. This will require some brainstorming, but there's always something to improve.

Second, you'll want to be sure there are no legal issue before you start with the product. Using a term like "tweets" on your site, I think that's shaky territory, but a term like "pages" has been around for a long time. I'm not a lawyer, but I recommend checking with one, just to be sure. You could also just go with it and ask for forgiveness later, but just know that it will come up at some point.

Re: question #3, you'll want an environment that can scale and potentially introduce load balancing. Definitely look into optimizing your MySQL and look into application-independent caching systems (like Varnish). As your starting out, you may also want to look at services like CloudFlare or Google's Page Speed service to see if they can make a difference.

~Sovereign

Collapse -
Thanks for your feedback
by fairgamer / March 28, 2014 2:27 PM PDT

We are sorry that site couldn't load for you.It is still in its seeding phase and we are glad that you still gave your insights about project.

1. Yeah we are not trying to make different sites like m.xyz.com .Instead we are trying to push more into smartdevices by using/testing Bootstrap ,Ukit /JQuery mobile to name a few framework.We all know that we are heading into a future, where everything would be mobile, on tip,fast, responsive and user friendly.Thats what is our prior concern.

2. We consulted few firms and they were sure that likes and pages are there since the beginning whereas they were unsure about large messages being abbrevated as tweet (So, we renamed that to reposted/psted) to avoid any legal issues.

3.Thanks, for recommending Content Delievery Networks like Cloudflare.They can definitely boost the page load time and we are also planning to combine all css and js into a single file to avoid multiple requests.Also, lazy load appears as a proportionate solution for faster access times.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?