General discussion

Need help on choosing which Lenovo W701ds processor to get.

Hi, Getting Lenovo W701ds. I need a fast processor to handle Dragon Naturally Speaking, which is a memory hog, especially since the vocabulary I use is over 1gb. Does anyone know the differences between the following 3 processors offered: 1)Intel Quad Core Processor i7 720QM (1.6GHz 1066MHz 6MBL3), 2) Intel Quad Core Processor i7 820QM (1.73GHz 1066MHz 8MBL3], 3) Intel Quad Core Extreme Processor i7-920XM (2.0GHz 1333MHz 8ML3). The question really comes down to: the i7-920XM is a lot more money. Is it a lot faster? Clearly the RAM is 1333mHz. Will that be that noticeable? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help on choosing which Lenovo W701ds processor to get.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help on choosing which Lenovo W701ds processor to get.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry but

These are light years ahead of the usual core 2 duo equipped machines. This is like moving from a prop plane to a fighter jet (c2d to i7.)

If DNS fails to perform on the slowest i7 of the lot, then DNS is going to be written about badly by all.
Bob

- Collapse -
But is there that much of a difference in the 3 processors?

Thanks. But is there that much of a difference in the 3 processors? And does the difference in RAM speed mean that much?

- Collapse -
To answer that.

You'll have to find reviews and benchmarks. See if Cnet reviews has them yet.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info