Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

Need help on buying a Tablet PC (laptop)!

by revotril / January 30, 2007 8:35 PM PST

I need a tablet PC, more on free-hand writing, as a tablet PC mode, rather than as a laptop, I need a fast processor, preferably Core 2 duo, windows vista already, with big RAM for faster speed, with wifi, bluetooth, leight weight expansion slot, reliable durability, productive, 3x USB 2.0, strong hinge, nice resolution, big battery life, I already looked for Toshiba M400, is that really ok, what I am after is its vista OS, but I am scared because of many feedbacks about Toshiba M400 on vista, are, so bad, you need to reinforce its graphics card, new hardwares to meet the standards of vista, is it ok to buy R400? I saw Gateway, and it fit all my needs, but the question is, does it has extra slots? does it has a good durability? Or any new brands or suggestions pls?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help on buying a Tablet PC (laptop)!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help on buying a Tablet PC (laptop)!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I gotta ask.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 8:43 PM PST

Have you tried free hand writing? I did and was not impressed. I found I can type faster than that.

There was one person that wanted the screen not to read the writing but to record his cursive writing. Sadly the resolution of the digitizer is too low and it came out too clunky for the effect they were after. In their case we solved it by using pad and pen then a scanner into the PC.

As to durability, I've come to the conclusion that we are renting laptops for about 4 years. After that we replace them. Is that durable enough for you?

Bob

Collapse -
its quite weird
by revotril / January 30, 2007 9:07 PM PST
In reply to: I gotta ask.

Uhm, I'm from Philippines, and you know its a poor country, I am looking for any online tablet PCs around US, Europe and Asia, I can't use, paper and pen, because, I am allergic on "paper", yah, its weird, allergic to paper, but Tablet PC, would be my best solution for that, and a ZScan from panasonic to scan, so what is the best tablet PC for college?

Collapse -
What's the goal here?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 9:12 PM PST
In reply to: its quite weird

You didn't convince me that a tablet was the only solution. A normal laptop sounds like it would do the job.

Bob

Collapse -
Deleted personal information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 10:22 PM PST
In reply to: What's the goal here?

"K, let say, a normal laptop, I need, very light weight, with very fast processor, wifi, bluetooth, 3 USB, nice screen resolution, because basically, I want something like, highlighting, that was my first purpose, if their would be a better "normal laptop" with a stylus, can u name something? I really need Tablet PC, because its tough when it comes to college, I'll be buying ZScan, to scan it for me, but, I can't still find a perfect notebook for me, I don't care of storring, because I have an iPod Video 60GB, for storring, and I guess, its already big to store some paper works, so could you help me choose a great PC tablet? I don't care how much would it be...here is my yahoomessenger"

Collapse -
I'll write no. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 10:25 PM PST

You need to look at what models are available to you in your country and list them. Members will then pick and pan those models.

Here I don't know anyone that bought a Tablet PC. Mostly because reality didn't meet the hype. While they do well at some aplications they have not penetrated the big laptop market.

Let me comment about your concept of storing content on the iPod. I know of one person that did that. Their iPod was dropped and that was the end of that.

Bob

Collapse -
The Available Products :(
by revotril / January 31, 2007 4:39 PM PST

Asus R1F- Any recommendation on the best asus notebook product will be appreciated...i haven't gone yet to other cities, that is why I am canvacing online...
http://ph.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&l2=24&l3=329&model=1299&modelmenu=2

HP TC4400- nice but bulky, not good for single arm, any HP product recommendations are welcome....

Toshiba M400-S4034- nice, it meets my needs,custumizable but I don't know its performance in tablet mode, any toshiba notebook products recommendation will be very welcome...

At first, I am thinking of a PDA phone, but its too small to write, large, pages, to scan, and, in Phil, people are more on "paper writing", than digital education, but they took consideration on my part, the agreement, was I should provide by my own, about Thinkpad, the bottom part got easily get hot, and I needs cooling fan through USB 2.0, people here are not digitally updated, (even me), that, is why, I am here at CNET, to seek HELP ON THE RIGHT NOTEBOOK OR TABLET PC, THAT FITS MY NEEDS, THANKS A BUNCH!

Collapse -
Lenovo
by ankitvjain / January 30, 2007 10:30 PM PST

Check ouyt IBM lenovo's thinkpads if you budget can take it they biuld good laptops( they give upto 4GB of ram on thinkpad z sereis) not sure on tablet but should be good as well.

will look online later ....

AJ

Collapse -
Nice models, but I must comment about 4G RAM on XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2007 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Lenovo

Sorry, it's not working for many who popped 4GB of ram into machines as they had hoped. I'll not duplicate web content or other discussions but write to stop at 2GB.

Bob

Collapse -
Have you seen this yet?
by samkh / January 31, 2007 3:06 AM PST

http://www-8.ibm.com/lenovoinfo/ph/notebooks/thinkpad/tablet/

Collapse -
Bob's Right
by StargateFan / January 31, 2007 5:33 AM PST

A Tablet isn't really all tht Microsoft cracks it up to be. In fact most of us can't find a real reason for them to beon the market. If you look at the launch of Windows Vista, you'll find that companies put tablets on the market. This is at the request of Microsoft, well mostly Bil Gates (his pet project) Microsoft knows tht Vista will be the last chance for the tablet market, which many believe is virtually non existant. I personally don't hate the pc and I don't think Vista is going to help it. Personally I can't wait until it falls out of existance.

But going back on subject, a lightweight laptop does serve a beter purpose. It's unfortunate about your allergy, however I believe you would be more productive with a normal laptop.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!