HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need Help on Best Scanner or All-In-One Scan/Fax/Print/Copy

by denij777 / November 7, 2004 11:53 PM PST

I am torn between buying a scanner separately or an all-in-one. My concern is whether I would be able to restore some old photos with an all-in-one. I'm not into photography, but when I saw that scanners could restore old photos, I have the idea of taking all family photos that are deteriorating & saving them to CD. I'm willing to spent $200 or more, but I'm also thinking how handy it would be to have the ability to fax & copy also. Any advice? Thanks so much.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help on Best Scanner or All-In-One Scan/Fax/Print/Copy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help on Best Scanner or All-In-One Scan/Fax/Print/Copy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need Help on Best Scanner or All-In-One Scan/Fax/Print/C
by spriceless / November 9, 2004 12:32 AM PST

I have had a refurbished Hewlett Packer all-in-one Scanner/Printer/Copier for over 3 years and it is still running clear on all sides. I have had to make no repairs just changing the cartridges. I paid like $139 - 159 and I have been exceptional happy with it.

Collapse -
by Esqcaliber / November 9, 2004 2:18 AM PST

HP has gathered some negative comments in some communities as a result of multifunction units that have been failing just out of warranty. Make a search for "cartridge jam" and HP and you'll get the flavor of it. I happen to have two multifunction HP's (print,copy,scan,fax)and had been happy with both until one of them developed the cartridge jam problem (a problem for which there is no fix because the fibre part that fails is not stocked as a replacement on those machines. I would recomment that if you are going to get a multifunction with a scanner, that you make it a flatbed. This lets you copy pages from books, but more importantly, flatbeds let you scan SMALL things that you may need to copy. That situation can be a real problem with sheet feed scanners. I'm currently looking at the HP 2610 which I have been informed does not have the same fibre piece that was failing on earlier models. In general, HP is a great manufacturer of printers.r

Collapse -
by denij777 / November 11, 2004 12:29 AM PST

Thank you, but I still need an answer to my question of whether I am going to get the best quality scanner for restoring old photos if I buy an all-in-one vs. just the scanner.

Collapse -
scanner choice
by d90013 / January 17, 2005 6:02 PM PST

Get a UMAX scanmaker 6800. The ICE technology for fixing scratched or similarly damaged photos is great. The technology is amazing. The all-in-ones don't really do any one thing really well. And if you have XP you can fax as easily as if you are printing. The scanner makes copies easily too. This model's features are just as good as those costing at least $100 more. I bought this scanner to fix really old family photos for a family event. Read the reviews, That's how I chose this one. I also recommend some version of Photoshop or a similar program. You will need to fix the colors on faded photos and these programs will do it quickly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.