Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help :-( nurse about to download computer out of window

by districtnurse / February 5, 2008 5:45 AM PST

Hiya peeps. Ive just about had enough of my computer and need help!. Basically I have windows xp on my computer,all up to date and running well. I purchased a word windows xp professional developement template disc for my professional portfolio. When I load it up is comes up as a word document (62 pages). It has boxes where I can type in my details i.e education, previous employement etc etc. However when I start typing in the boxes they go out of shape and then everything else is distorted on the page and it looks all messy :-(. Iam not very computer minded but one of my collegues mentioned today as possibly saving it as a "form" that way the boxes will stay as solid structures and not make a mess of the page. But she didnt and I dont know how to do this???
Any help or ideas would be great as I need to get this done asap for my appraisal, and Ive eaten a whole packet of wine gums in distress!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help :-( nurse about to download computer out of window
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help :-( nurse about to download computer out of window
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don't throw it out!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2008 1:53 AM PST

Hi there, and sorry for the delay.

You say you have Windows XP as your Operating System. Do you also have Microsoft Office installed? It is a suite of applications including Word for word processing, Excel for spreadsheets, as well as others.

I ask because I wonder if this 'word windows XP professional development template' is something to do with Microsoft Office or not. Do you mean Microsoft Word Professional Development Template for Windows XP? I have searched for various combinations of those words, and all I can come up with that looks official is "Microsoft's Office Personal Portfolio 2002 Complete Package" here;
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_Personal_Portfolio_2002_Complete_package__5500685#productdetail

Is that similar?

If not, where did you get it from, and what is its proper name?

The problem is, if his is not an official package from Microsoft it may be poorly designed. If it is, but if you do not have Microsoft Office installed on your computer, then it may be that you need Office for it to work properly.

In Word I don't know how you would save a document as a form. That doesn't seem to be an option in the File > Save As dialog options window. Tell us more about what you need this package for.

Mark

Collapse -
REPLY TO MARK
by districtnurse / February 6, 2008 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Don't throw it out!

I guess Im stupid as I brought it off ebay from a health abd social lecturer whom does the cd's as templates for professional portfolios.It hasnt actually come as yet as I only brought it last night, but she happened to mention it in her email that if you are technically minded you can save it as a form,that way when I go to fill the boxes in on the screen my words are contained in the correct shape box, i.e the box expands with your words. Some guy on an american help forum mentioned something about possibly trying "word wrap??". This has happened to me before when i have tried to download a job application form off the nhs jobs website, and again when you try to fill it in on the screen it all moves down the page and goes all out of shape and messy i.e the paragraphes go all messy and the boxes that you are typing in "break" and everything moves to the next line. I dont want to have to print it off and fill it out by hand as it will look awful. I am at a blank!!, I only paid

Collapse -
Best to try it first.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 6, 2008 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: REPLY TO MARK

You never know, it may be just what you need. If it is from a Health and Social Worker and that person is genuine, then they will know and understand your needs and may have produced a good workable template.

See how you go, and experiment with it. Don't expect things to work perfectly straight away though, you may need to get used to it and how it works.

So, frustration will be the order of the day, Devil But work at it, and I'm sure you will do well.

Mark

Collapse -
im still here :-)
by districtnurse / February 6, 2008 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: REPLY TO MARK

when I try it out I will let you know!!. Ive had a look on hubbys programmes and he has installed all the usual excel,word,powerpoint,access,outlook. He also has Office tools???

Collapse -
Re: document
by Kees Bakker / February 6, 2008 3:44 AM PST

To change a document in a form, use (in Word 2000, other versions might be different) you've got to protect it. Use the protect icon in the Forms toolbar (as described for example in http://www.glencoe.com/ps/computered/pas/article.php4?articleId=365, figure 13). Or, even easier, use the menu option Tools>Protect document).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
KEES!!!!
by districtnurse / February 6, 2008 3:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: document

Ive just gone into microsoft word xp, clicked on "tools" then it sais customize at bottom so that then openned up another list one of which was protect document.I clicked on that then another menu popped up. It said do I want to:- protect tracked changes, or comments, or forms. Which one do I click on?, also do I do this the moment ive loaded up the disk BEFORE I start filling in my boxes??, so sorry about this, I know I iz thick ;-D

Collapse -
Choose protect forms if you want to make it a protected form
by Kees Bakker / February 8, 2008 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: KEES!!!!

I've got to admit the text could be clearer.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.