Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need Help - NEW computer, very slow!!

by sunnyvalesmostwanted / December 29, 2008 9:41 AM PST

Hello,

I need a little bit of advice please. We just bought a new laptop - its a HP 4 GB RAM, its an AMD Turion X2 64 processor, and we use it probably 95% for surfing the internet. No downloading songs, games, movies or anything really, just surfing the internet.

What happens is that the computer works OK on the internet for maybe an hour then it gets to a point where it cant even open a webpage like yahooo anymore unless you wait 3-5 minutes for it to load. It also loses connection to our wireless router sometimes and cant reconnect for awhile or unplugging the router and restarting it.

This is my wifes laptop and my old Lenovo with 1GB RAM works awesome compared to this computer and ALWAYS loads pages faster, even when this new comp is working at its best.

Our router and modem are new and we have High speed cable internet service through our local provider, Shaw Cable up here in Canada.

The only other details that might be important is that this is a refurbished computer - it was apparently last years model with the AMD Athlone processor that was sent back for the Turion upgrade and has to be sold as refurbished because it orig did not come with the Turion when orig manufactured.

I took it back to Best Buy, which is where i purchased it and it ran fine there - of course they only had it for 5 mins but they ran the disney.com site which apparently has a lot of video streams and is a site that doesnt load as fast as yahoo and others and on our comp at that time the page did load pretty fast - so Best Buy feels that its a prob with our connection at home.

I do not know where to go from here as my older comp COMPLETELY out performs this one here at home when we use them simultaneously.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help - NEW computer, very slow!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help - NEW computer, very slow!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Using the same browser...all of a sudden my IE is like
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2008 10:08 AM PST

molassas.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
NEW computer, very slow!!
by dark47 / December 29, 2008 10:29 AM PST

there is at least 1000 reasons why you new baby can go slow after a while but what I would suspect first, is the heat probably generated by the "new" cpu and possible termal incompability of it with existing heat dispensing hardware. Something is overheating inside of the laptop than slows the system down. First suspect is the CPU, than South-bridge chipset, than memory, hard drive, than who knows what.
You can try to monitor heating of the laptop in one hour period by checking its bottom surface, lets say every 10-15 minutes, by touching it with your open palm. Register which spots of the surface are getting hotter and by that you can approximatly locate the hotest spot. As the BestBuy technicians should know which elements of the system are on the particular spot under the "hood" they might be able to fix it (change the part or whatever).
If the BestBuy guarantee "promise" does not covere these problems you can put your "baby" on the block of the ice after an hour to cool it down which was a solution of the one of my friends but i WOULD NOT recomend it. What I would recomend is to buy an USB Cooling Pad that may cool you problem a bit and most likely increase the speed.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Much easier to download and run PCWizard 2008...when you
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2008 10:45 AM PST

minimize it, CPU info remains visible in the upper right hand corner of the monitor. Believe that should make it easier to monitor the system temps for heat related problem(s).

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestions........even the molasses.
by sunnyvalesmostwanted / December 29, 2008 11:18 AM PST

I bought this comp 2 weeks ago......it does seem very hot in the back left corner when looking at the keyboard....theres a vent in the back corner and the bottom of the laptop is very hot there - its right beside the battery and right where the expansion port is, ethernet cable plug in and a few other plug ins are, on the side at that back corner.

Im not very knowledgeable about computers so I'm a little cautious about installing stuff off of the internet that I dont know about. Is this PCWizard product safe?

Ive owned 5 laptops, including a previous HP laptop, and Ive never had thsi slowdown issue until the laptops get to be 2 yrs old or so.

Collapse -
I have a fairly new HP Laptop (DV9912NR)
by VAPCMD / December 29, 2008 1:07 PM PST

as well as several desktops and I always recommend PCWizard 2008...it's great utility overall but very useful to track/watch the system temps while you're running the PC. As suggested ...download it, install it, run it and minimize it. Note the system and CPU temps, each core temp, each core load, GFX temp, etc., in the upper right hand corner.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
OK I downloaded PC Wizard
by sunnyvalesmostwanted / December 30, 2008 12:58 AM PST

Ok, I downloaded PC Wizard 2008 and umm........what shoul dI be looking for? I'm a newb and all I see is a bunch of numbers and temps - Im not sure what numbers are normal and which arent.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Collapse -
Temps
by sunnyvalesmostwanted / December 30, 2008 1:32 AM PST

Heres what the green data at the top of my screen shows when im browsing the internet for the last 15 mins.....

I have 4 Tabs open, PLUS espn.com that has streaming video highlights running on the mainpage :

CPU it pretty much sits at 800 MHz, other than the odd jump to 1600 or 2000 for a sec or two, then back to 800

CPU temp stays at 50-52 degrees C

Core#1 49-51 degrees C
Core#2 50-53 degrees C

CPU voltage 0.8 V most of the time, jumps to 1.125 the odd time for a sec, then back to 0.8

Core#1 Load 6-25% when just sitting here doing nothing while the 4 tabs and espn is open at its mainpage
core#2 Load 8-18% when sitting here.......

GFX Temp - pretty much sits at 72 degrees C

when i have the 4 tabs open and not espn where it runs the video on the main page:

everything the same except for Core loads

Core#1 load 5-7% with the odd minor spike up to 15%
Core#2 load 1-7% with the odd minor spike up to 15%

I dont know if this helps.....

Collapse -
You've got it....chk the idle readings ..
by VAPCMD / December 30, 2008 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Temps

At idle my CPU (AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60) is running 35 degrees and my GPU is 45 degrees lower.

My guess the heat you feel is coming from the GPU...the video chip.

Which CPU and GPU does your laptop have ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
i dont even know what a GPU is, but i'll post what i can....
by sunnyvalesmostwanted / December 30, 2008 2:43 AM PST

AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-60
2000 MHz
Dual Core
Cache L1 2x128 kb
Cache L2 2x512 kb

GPU info (copied and pasted from PC Wizard display info) VVVVVVVVVVVVV

General Information :
Manufacturer : Nvidia Corp (Hewlett-Packard Company)
Model : NVIDIA MCP67M
Bus Type : PCI
Total Memory : 64 MB
Texture Memory : 1068 MB
Processor : GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
Converter : Integrated RAMDAC
Refresh Rate (min/max) : 59/59 Hz

GPU Information :
Number of GPU : 1
Codename : G67
Revision : A1
Bus : 128-bit
Memory Type : DDR
GPU Frequency : 425 MHz
Memory Frequency GPU :
Pixel Pipelines : 4
Vertex Pipelines : 1
Pixel Shader Version : 3.0

Collapse -
Looks like we've got the same CPU and GPU..
by VAPCMD / December 30, 2008 8:01 AM PST

graphics processing unit...but your temps, CPU and GPU, are materially higher. The only thing I can think of is the CPU and GPU cooling devices weren't properly installed ... like no thermal grease between the CPU/GPU and the heatsink.

Given the situation ...might be good to call HP and ask them about the TEMP readings.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
thanks guys!!!
by sunnyvalesmostwanted / December 31, 2008 3:04 AM PST

Thaks to all for your suggestions. I called HP this morning and they didnt think it was a heat issue - they got me to try a few things and when nothing worked they had me do the system restore and that has worked so far!!!!! When this comp was refurbished someone must have set something up wrong and now everything has been reset to factory settings and works awesome - I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays this way!!

Again, thanks to all!!

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear and Thanks for the feedback.
by VAPCMD / December 31, 2008 11:08 AM PST
In reply to: thanks guys!!!
Collapse -
NEW computer, very slow!!
by macheholder / January 1, 2009 12:46 AM PST

In XP,you can also try MY Computer> Local ****(C)>Windows>Temp and delete the Temp internet files,or Right click on the Task bar>Properties>Start Menu tab> Customise> Advanced tab(check the list The List my most recent opened documents ,box,> Clear List> OK
These can also help . I've also read that virus,trojan and malware were design to attack the admin account so what I've done was to creat two other accounts (Administrator Acc,My Acc,Wife Acc)so if ever the My acc or the Wife acc is ever infected the Admin acc could be used to delete the Acc and re-creat new ones and I also use Avast Anti Virus software that I got from Cnet.com for FREE,I'm not any techie but I've been reading a lot on these forums they do help!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!