Computer Help forum

Need help multiple bsod tried everything.

by xlee420 / January 12, 2013 9:12 AM PST

since the beginning of the year i've been having problems with my computer either crashing with one of few different bsod or just freezing with movable cursor but nothing else working. i've tried scans multiple different searches of things to attempt. updating drivers rolling back drivers i cant get anything to work.

i have an HP pavilion p6310y everything is factory hardware except a graphics card which was bought the same week the computer with a geforce gts 450 the computer is about 2 years old. the only other previous problem was a black screen of death which after a few fix attempts a clean install fixed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help multiple bsod tried everything.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help multiple bsod tried everything.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Need help multiple bsod tried everything.
by wpgwpg / January 12, 2013 9:17 AM PST

It sounds like you could have a virus or other malware. Get your antivirus program up to date and boot into Safe Mode. Note that some viruses can hide themselves from your antivirus program in normal mode, so you really need to scan in Safe Mode. To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode. Then run a full system scan.
Microsoft has suggestions and offerings at
MS forum moderator Keith has some suggestions along this line at
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
When you get your system back in good working order, I urge you to back your system up to an external hard drive and make regular periodic updates to it.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
by xlee420 / January 12, 2013 9:22 AM PST

thanks i will try a safemode virus scan soon. i'm currently running sfc already. i have one question though wouldnt the clean install remove any virus' when it formats the hard drive? i have no restore points as the clean install was done today as a last resort. i've yet to see it bsod or freeze when just sitting with no games or windows up. half the time i'll hear a skipping sound from the current game or thing. and hear the fan from the gfx card going though i'm not sure if its relevant to the problem as before it would just turn on when it was running warm anyways.

Collapse -
questionable relevance
by xlee420 / January 12, 2013 9:41 AM PST
In reply to: re:

i'm not sure if it matters any to diagnostics but the games i was playing at time of crashes were LoL (league of legends) pockie pirates (browser based) WoW(obvious i think llol : (_ ) if any 2 were up it would be one and pirates. but the computer has ran fine in past doing more.

Collapse -
re one more thing
by xlee420 / January 12, 2013 9:45 AM PST

one last thing i can think of would be the a couple of the error messages would say stuff about trying turning off caching or shadowing.

Collapse -
Wow! Look at the nvstor64 errors
by wpgwpg / January 12, 2013 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: a portion of event log

I did a Google search for nvstor64 and found this link which seems to explain your problem
It seems that you have a problem with an Nvidia driver, and you're getting them by the ton in the error log. That log can be very cryptic and hard to decipher sometimes, but in this case it looks like it zeroed in on the problem.

Good luck.

Collapse -
thanks i'll..
by xlee420 / January 13, 2013 1:03 AM PST

thanks for the information i'm not really sure from the page how to fix it but its a step in the right direction i appreciate the effort and am looking into it.

Collapse -
by xlee420 / January 14, 2013 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: thanks i'll..

i've had to run a recovery again after trying to update the drivers in a different way

Collapse -
by xlee420 / January 14, 2013 12:42 AM PST
In reply to: thanks i'll..

i've had to do a recovery again after trying to install the drivers a different way and getting some bad errors.

Collapse -
Let's say it's all stock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: um

And 2 years old with a GTS 450 card. What did you do to supply more power for the video card?

It's like taking your car on the Daytona Speedway and running around the laps at 120MPH. Sure it will do that for a while but it would for long.

Your story sounds just like a tired power supply and a machine in need of heat sink compound replacement and cleaning.

Some folk get fixated on drivers and OS reloads and you can't help them.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?