Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Need Help Making Bootable Win98SE Install CD

by ibohren / March 4, 2007 1:47 AM PST

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me how to take a non-bootable Windows 98SE CD and combine the contents with that of the Windows 98 bootdisk to make a bootable Windows 98SE installation CD. I have a non-bootable install CD, but no 3.5in floppy drive (I haven't had one for years). I was able to download a Win98SE bootdisk iso and burn it to a CD as well. It works just fine, but I only have one CD-ROM drive so I can't figure out how to run setup on the Win98SE CD after I've booted up on the boot CD.

Is anyone able to give me novice to intermediate step-by-step instructions as to how to combine both CDs into one bootable installation CD?

Thanks a ton in advance for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Making Bootable Win98SE Install CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Making Bootable Win98SE Install CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 2:31 AM PST

I have no idea what tools you have to write said CD. While you could create one with a boot diskette and Nero, I don't see how step by step could be crafted given no tools to work with that you own.

Bob

Collapse -
Can't do that
by ibohren / March 4, 2007 2:57 AM PST
In reply to: Can't do that.

Bob,

Thanks for the reply,

I have several utilities including Nero 6. I extracted the data from the Win98SE bootdisk using WinImage, but Nero will not let you choose anything but a bootdisk located on a floppy drive, which I do not have, or its own default boot image which I've found is Caldera DR-DOS.

So, I found an iso for the Win98SE bootdisk and burned it to CD and it works fine. Since I don't have two CD-ROM drives on the computer in question, I can't run both the boot CD and install CD concurrently on two different drives. Is there no way to extract the data from the bootdisk and the data from the install CD, combine it in someway to create a bootable installation CD?

Thanks

Collapse -
With Nero I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Can't do that

Put the boot diskette in A: and tell Nero to use that. Then all the other files and directories from the CD are used. Bingo, boot CD.

Seems easy but I'll decline the step by step. Maybe someone else will write it.

Bob

Collapse -
Just wondering. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 3:32 AM PST

Why can't you boot from the boot CD, format the HD and transfer the system files, then remove the boot CD and insert the program CD and type:

setup

You don't need the boot CD to install W98.

Collapse -
Just wondering...
by ibohren / March 4, 2007 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering. . .

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you "format the HD and transfer the system files" from the the boot CD? I've never done it before. I ran FDISK and created a new primary DOS partition. It then tells me that the system needs to restart, but when it does, I get "Operating System Missing" instead of the boot menu and DOS prompt. How do I format the drive and what system files to I need to transfer, and how?

Thanks a ton

Collapse -
I see that happen when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2007 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering...

I didn't format the HD with the /S option.

Tell me this. Some expected Windows to help with such an install but you are looking at some OS that is from another place and time.

Bob

Collapse -
If that is a true W98 boot disk. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering...

it should contain the format command and the sys command. To format the drive you type:

format C:

This will prepare the hard drive to receive the operating system. Then you type the command:

sys C:

This will transfer the system files required to run the install.

Look at the boot disk in Explorer from any PC. If it contains these files the above can be done.

Collapse -
Thanks
by ibohren / March 4, 2007 6:17 AM PST

Thanks for the help everyone, I just had to change my boot order.

Thanks Again!

Collapse -
(NT) AH!! Good luck.
by Coryphaeus / March 4, 2007 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Since you used Winimage...
by Edward ODaniel / March 8, 2007 7:14 AM PST

to save the boot diskette image (and hopefully kept both in case you used the wrong image format) you can follow this link and download MagicISO which can create your bootable installation CD.
http://www.magiciso.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?