Desktops forum

General discussion

Need help knowing what to look for in cpu

by Reaper2394 / August 1, 2010 1:41 PM PDT

Hi, I am building my own custom rig, and at this point I am trying to pick out parts.
Right now I am looking at trying to find a cpu.
I want to use this rig for mainly Gaming (Battlefield Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3), however I also want to use it for some photo editing and video editing as well.
So my question is what do I want to look for in the cpu?
What speed do I want?
How many Cores?
things like that

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help knowing what to look for in cpu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help knowing what to look for in cpu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is your budget?
by Rackmountsales / August 1, 2010 3:43 PM PDT

The issue now is almost any processor on the market is more than fast enough for every day computer use. If you play newer games or have some other special requirements then we need to know about it. What is your budget and what hardware do you need? For instance do you currently have a modern monitor you want to continue using?

Collapse -
For gamers it's more about the GPU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2010 2:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Research, research
by champmanfan67 / August 10, 2010 6:14 PM PDT

I'm currently on the hunt for my next custom PC, so its best to get an idea from review sites of the type of performance you'd be happy with, and of course, within your budget.

If your into the latest games, and BF:BC2 is; I'd go for any of Intel's quad core - they are very good performance chips for the price and overclocking is excellent. The 2-year-old Intel i7 920 2.66GHz (being phased out by some shops so get the more recent Intel i7 930 2.8GHz for similar price) is still gamers choice for price/performance. Plus you get HyperThreading which is 4 physical cores, 4 logical cores. Both are D0-stepping for better overclocking.

Some of the top games now require quad core - check the System Requirements and now Mafia II requires this - otherwise you will just bottleneck the PC; which will in turn mean you have to reduce graphic options to get consistent frame-rates.

I would also recommend the main system consisting of:
Motherboard: Asus Rampage II Extreme Intel X58
RAM: OCZ Reaper (3x2GB) DDR3 12800-C6 1600MHz
Graphics: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5
HDD: SSD are the way, a small SSD will do for the OS and other apps that need the speed. A second 2TB for big game installs, storage.
Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-Express Sound Card (surround sound and hardware accelerated Direct3D and EAX once installed, which Creative can't do unless you install software and config it)
PSU: A branded quality power supply of at least 650W is required. Checking reviews is essential.

The above components were chosen based of many various high-scoring reviews and many forums posts on other sites. You could get a cheaper motherboard, but this is the main component that will get the best speeds from everything that connects it, plus you'll enjoy many years of trouble-free use. Any other tips needed, let me know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.