Windows Legacy OS forum

Resolved Question

Need help installing XP on SECOND SATA hard drive

by siliconfusion / November 13, 2014 5:29 AM PST

OK I know this is UNUSUAL, but here's what I want to do:
I have my XP installed on my primary IDE hard drive C:
I have a 2nd and 3rd SATA Hard drives D: and E:
I'd like to do a CLEAN install of WIN XP (I have the original system install disk and license key), so how best to do this?
Can I run the SETUP from within my existing WINDOWS on C: and tell it to install on E: without messing up my existing C:?
In the end, I just want to be able to boot from any of the 3 disks if the need arises.
I tried just copying WINDOWS from my existing installation, but that does not work because my main drive is IDE and the other 2 are SATA.

siliconfusion has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help installing XP on SECOND SATA hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help installing XP on SECOND SATA hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by siliconfusion

Collapse -
SOLVED!!!!
by siliconfusion / November 14, 2014 12:47 AM PST

No thanks to anyone in the myriad of forums I posted this question to, I found my OWN ANSWER, and in the process the ideal backup software as well. FREE SOFTWARE called XXCLONE. This beautiful thing runs right inside your existing XP and creates a COMPLETE mirror image of your entire hard drive on any new hard drive attached to the same machine, IDE or SATA, and makes the new drive independently bootable if you so wish.
I tested the SATA drive after the install with all my other drives turned both OFF and ON in the bios, and it boots perfectly either way. I OWE MY SANITY TO XXCLONE!
This thing backup up my whole drive and WORKED in under 10 minutes flat with no extra work from me at all.
Oh, and by the way, I offer a special raspberry award to MICROSOFT for making their own help COMPLETE gibberish (their instructions to create an XP boot diskette are utterly USELESS), as well as for totally abandoning the tens of millions who still use XP. I'm surprised no lawyers have filed a class action suit over this yet. It seems patently monopolistic and unfair to me for any company to be able to tell you "you can no longer used the product you bought from us" when said product was never sold with an expiration date.

Collapse -
That's news to millions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2014 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: SOLVED!!!!

XP is still being used by millions. It's not expired, just unsupported.

Would you pay for support? Not that folk today seem to seem to emit that "entitled" feeling at times.

But good news about the cloning. I thought you wanted to install copies on other drives "I'd like to do a CLEAN install of WIN XP" so I didn't note any clone software.

You won't get answers you don't ask for?
Bob (uses CLONEZILLA for clone and more.)

Collapse -
Answer
Remember, it's unsupported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 5:32 AM PST

You can research XP F6 FLOPPY INSTALL to learn how but SATA and XP are an odd mix up and can cause seasoned XP users to burst into flames.

Frankly I'd research if my PC supports IDE SATA emulation to avoid the headaches.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: XP on SATA disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 13, 2014 5:59 AM PST

No problem, but you have to use (that is: boot from) an SP2 or SP3 install disk to di the install.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
No
by James Denison / November 13, 2014 12:09 PM PST
In the end, I just want to be able to boot from any of the 3 disks if the need arises.

Not for what you seem to want. You want to be able to boot one or the other completely separate from each other? It's been a few years since I ran dual XP systems, but as I recall, if you boot to the one on C drive and then do install to second drive, both will still be using the same bootloader, which means if C drive fails, you are stuck still trying to get the D drive install working. Several things need to be known.

Is D drive a separate physical drive? If not, then you can be certain it's the same boot loader for both systems.

The proper way to do have two separate XP systems is install each to a separate physical drive which is set as the default boot drive in BIOS at the time. This way you can boot to either one simply by switching the boot drive.

I tried just copying WINDOWS from my existing installation, but that does not work because my main drive is IDE and the other 2 are SATA.

what happened when you tried?

Of course SATA drivers would need to be added for that XP installation. The install process should allow you to add SATA drivers at some point and then thave those installed to the XP installation during the process. You could also set BIOS to use IDE emulation for SATA drives.

Remember, you CAN install XP from a DOS screen when necessary. You can google the process.

To be safe, you should unplug your current C drive, no matter how you do the install, just to be sure it won't be affected. It also will insure you are setting up a complete stand alone XP system on the other physical drive.

Check the Drive Manager in Windows to be sure you have a second physical drive. You could have one drive set as C and D, and the second physical drive might be E drive.

The simplest way is to have just one drive plugged to the motherboard at a time, and each will be set up unaware of the other and each will on boot become the C drive.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!