Computer Newbies forum

Question

Need help installing Ubuntu on a Win98 machine

by ssnyder2357 / January 12, 2015 4:55 AM PST

I've been tasked with installing the latest Ubuntu Linux version on an old HP Pavillion 8562 currently running Win98 and I'm having a lot of trouble. I've downloaded the 32-bit version of Linux but I can't think of how to put it on the PC. It doesn't fit on a CD, and the machine isn't networked in any way. I tried putting it on a thumb drive, but the PC can't see the drive because it's missing the drivers. I don't even know if a PC this old can run Ubuntu. Any advice?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help installing Ubuntu on a Win98 machine
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help installing Ubuntu on a Win98 machine
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Does it have to be Ubuntu?
by itsdigger / January 12, 2015 5:02 AM PST

There's a Light version called Lubuntu that fits on a cd. After installation you can add and remove programs to fit your need. Check it out => http://lubuntu.net/

Digger

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Linux
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:13 AM PST

Given then Windiws 98 had a maximum supported RAM-size of 512 MB (you had to limit it in msconfig if it happened to have more installed, so practically nobody had that) it's unlikely that it will run Ubuntu. Be sure to check the system requirements!

If the BIOS can't be set to boot from a USB-stick (did you check?) you can forget about the USB. That leaves a version of Linux that fits on a CD indeed.

Kees

Collapse -
Seem to remember...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Linux

that 98 wouldn't boot from usb but 98SE would.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Depends on the BIOS.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Seem to remember...

Windows 98 SE had reasonable support for USB (modem, mice, printer), but booting is a different story.

Kees

Collapse -
Been a long time Kees,
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: Depends on the BIOS.

although I do have a 98 machine stacked in my spare bedroom. I really must dig that out.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Re: Windows 98
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:53 AM PST
In reply to: Been a long time Kees,

I brought mine to the recycling when I bought a PC with Windows 7 in 2010. My XP machine from 2007 replaced the Windows 98 one (physically). And I still have that on the same location upstairs, connected to a scanner and used to backup to.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Kees noted the smaller machines back then. Look at this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2015 5:19 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
To add another limitation to what others have said
by Steven Haninger / January 13, 2015 1:43 AM PST

I suspect your machine won't support a Linux version with a PAE kernel. Even the later 32 bit versions support larger amounts of RAM requiring that the CPU support PAE. From memory, I think Linux Mint 12 or 13 was the last to offer a non-PAE version. If you look around, you may find some tweaks that allow intervention during the installation to turn off PAE but I think it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Good luck anyway

Collapse -
Answer
Lubuntu is what you want
by James Denison / January 13, 2015 8:56 AM PST

You download the ISO and then burn that image file to a CD. If you have very little RAM, there is also an alternative and a minimal text based installation, which then allows use of the fully graphical system. It's all explained at the Lubuntu site.

http://lubuntu.net/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.