PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Need help installing Sony CRX230AE CD-R/RW Driver

Need help installing Sony CRX230AE CD-R/RW Driver

I am a novice. I bought a Sony CRX230AE CD-R/RW driver and installed it onto my Compaq Presario PC (XP Home) and the computer will not recognize it or the DVD drive already there. It is as if they aren't there. Is there something simple I did wrong? Please help.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help installing Sony CRX230AE CD-R/RW Driver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help installing Sony CRX230AE CD-R/RW Driver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Need more info on how you installed it.

In reply to: Need help installing Sony CRX230AE CD-R/RW Driver

Did you connect it on it's own cable or on a cable already used by another drive?
If on the same cable as an existing drive you need to set it as a slave device. Jumper settings are marked on the drive.
Did you check that the cable is connected the right way? red or black tracer wire nearest the power connector. Did you connect a power connector to the drive?
No drives showing tends to indicate no power or incorrect cable installation. Check all connections and jumper settings and let's know how you get on.
John

Collapse -
how I installed it

In reply to: Need more info on how you installed it.

I connected its own cable and connected it to a DVD drive already installed. Both of the drives previously installed were set to CSEL, so I set the Sony drive to that as well. The cables are connected correctly and power connectors are powering the drives. Should I use the previous IDE cable that was connected to the previous drive?

Collapse -
If I understand you correctly

In reply to: how I installed it

you used the new cable that came with the drive and connected it to the existing drive.
In that case disconnect it and reconnect the drive to the cable that is connected on the old drive (the center connection) and set it as a slave drive. If you have two such cables (PATA connections)one of which is connected to the hard drive and have a free center connection (secondary drive) use the connection that goes to the hard drive. It's better to have the CD/DVD drives on separate IDE connections.
Hope this solves your problem, let's know how you get on,
John

Collapse -
I just had a vision

In reply to: If I understand you correctly

the new CDRW drive may have come with a 40 wire connection and the DVD that was in your machine may need an 80 wire cable so use the cable that was fitted originally. If cable select doesn't work set the drive on the end as master and other as slave, If it's a cable that has a blue connector at one end and a black at the other, make sure to plug the blue end of the cable to the IDE channel on the motherboard.
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.