Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help installing OS!!!! Step by Step Instructions PLEASE

I recently recieved HP dv5-1119nr as a gift for Christmas. It has a Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit OS. I am a DJ and Use Numarks Virtual Vinyl audio Interface which is for my turntables. I have no complaints with the notebook. Unfortunately, the interface is not compatible with 64-Bit, and according to Numark may not be anytime soon. I had a friend upload his Vista 32-Bit OS for me to download, as a matter of fact he sent me two to choose from. I have (frustratingly) tried multple times to burn and re-install a 32-Bit system. I have tried using Cyberlink DVD Suite to save the .iso file (I understand that). It shows up looking like a winrar file, but in properties it does say .iso. Once burn is finished I try to reboot. Under BIOS, CD Drive is enabled and first. But it doesn't Boot!! Upon looking at the disc it shows 2 files; BOOTCTG.BIN and BOOTIMG.BIN. What am I doing wrong????

I need a guide to installing this OS. I understand HP warranty will be voided upon doing so. Really that is irrelevant to me. I only use this laptop for DJ prurposes Only! I just need to run my software!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help installing OS!!!! Step by Step Instructions PLEASE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help installing OS!!!! Step by Step Instructions PLEASE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unfortunately

In reply to: Need help installing OS!!!! Step by Step Instructions PLEASE

Unfortunately, you just admitted to using pirated software, so the rules of this forum prohibit anyone from helping you. Whether you know it or not, what your friend is doing is NOT legal, and could get him into quite a bit of trouble. I would strongly suggest advising him to rethink this sort of thing in the future.

Best thing I can suggest is that you contact HP and see if they would be willing to supply you with a set of 32-bit install media. If not, then you'll have to decide what you want to do.

Also, it should be known that if your new system came with 4GB or more of RAM, which seems very likely if it's shipping with a 64-bit OS, you will lose access to that RAM by using a 32-bit OS. A 32-bit Windows will only be able to use about 3.25GB of RAM, and this will not change.

Collapse -
(NT) Agreed and locked.

In reply to: Unfortunately

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!