Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help installing O/S

by jbndhs / January 23, 2006 5:35 AM PST

I had Suse 10 on one of my computers. I wanted to also have win 2K installed. Everything I read said to install windows first. So I used a disk I got from Maxtor called MaxBLAST 4 to format the HD. When I tired to install win 2k it failed and I got the message "missing NTLDR" what ever that is. So ok I will put suse back on. That will not install, Fedora core 4 will not install, and PClinux live cd will not run. Suse will get to where it actives the usb card and stops. Fedora gets to "/sbin/loader" and stops. Pclinux get to the logo and stops. How do I get out of this mess I made?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help installing O/S
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help installing O/S
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jb, To Install Windows 2000, Use the CD
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 6:04 AM PST

Simply place the Windows 2000 CD in the CD-Rom, then restart the computer..As long as the CD-Rom is set to boot first, the Windows installer will repartition, reformat, then install Windows. Follow the steps in the link below:

Windows 2000 Full Install on Used Hard Drive

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
use the cd
by jbndhs / January 23, 2006 8:10 AM PST

That is what I did and that is when I get the message "missing NTLDR"

Collapse -
Possible Issues
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 23, 2006 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: use the cd

See the link below:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

It sounds like you're not doing a full repartition, reformat and reinstall..ARe you? You should be...The error normally occurs if you're trying to "repair" the system, not during a full reinstall. It's because you previously formatted the drive. Make sure to delete all partitions, then repartition everything, then format using the NTFS file system.

After placing the disk in the drive and restarting, does it boot from the CD?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
possible issuse
by jbndhs / January 23, 2006 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Possible Issues

I had googled it earlier and read that link. I don't understand the part about making a boot.ini disk. What is [boot loader] and the rest? Do you use a text editor or what? I think I did a complete format when I used that maxtor disk. Now it will not even start with the install of win 2k and I don't think any of my linux o/s that I tried really got started. What if I put it in another computer and format it?

Collapse -
I beleive during the boot process...
by Art / January 23, 2006 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: use the cd

you were ask to push enter key (or maybe it was any key). Did you do that?

Collapse -
Any key
by jbndhs / January 23, 2006 10:08 AM PST

All it said was "missing ntldr press Ctrl Alt Delete to restart". When you do that it all happens over again and the same message appears.

Collapse -
Art Is Referring To....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 1:11 AM PST
In reply to: Any key

...the initial start up of the Windows 2000 CD in the CD rom..After placing the Windows 2000 CD in the drive, then restarting the computer, AS LONG AS the CD-Rom is set to boot first, you will get a flashing message which states: "Press and key to boot from CD"...You need to press "Enter" (or any other key) to start the Windows 2000 installation process.

As I state above, it still sounds like you haven't done a correct Windows 2000 installation..YOu still need to let the Windows 2000 CD repartition, reformat, then reinstall the operating system..The earlier format won't matter if you follow these instructions.

When you place the Windows 2000 CD in the CD-Rom, then restart the computer, what happens? Does the computer attempt to boot from the hard drive and you receive the NTLDR message? If so, then you need to change the BIOS so the CD-Rom boots first. If instead, it boots from the CD-Rom, you will see the "Press any key" instructions..Do so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Here is what happens
by jbndhs / January 24, 2006 7:01 AM PST

I put the win 2k cd in. I start the computer it does the normal check and starts to boot from the CD, mesaage appears "ntldr missing - press ctrl alt delete to restart". The bios is set to boot from the cd. I have checked and also when I put in a "live CD" it will start to boot it. If I disconnect all my usb things it will run the install. But if I leave the usb mouse and wireless adapter pluged in it will only go that far and stop.
I know I haven't done a correct win 2k install, it will not go that far. I never see a "press any key" message.

So it boots from the cd, never really starts the install before I get the message "missing ntldr etc."

Collapse -
here is what happens
by jbndhs / January 24, 2006 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Here is what happens

I need to correct part of my last post.

When I try to install Fedora it will only go as far as "/sbin/loader" and then it stops.

Collapse -
Jb, Nothing Will Install Until The OS Is On Correctly
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 11:11 AM PST
In reply to: here is what happens

First, I don't believe that you're booting from the CD. As such, the BIOS probably isn't set to boot from the CD-Rom drive that you're using....OR..... Another possiblity is the Windows 2000 CD is faulty in some way as mentioned in one my other posts.

IF the computer was booting correctly from the CD, the VERY FIRST thing you would see is a black screen with the statement: "Press any key to boot from the CD". At that time, pressing the "Enter" key would cause the Windows CD to load it's temporary installation files and proceed on with the installation per the instructions in the links that were provided earlier.

Till you get the computer to boot from the CD, you'll continue to have problems..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?