Mac OS forum

General discussion

Need help install Mac OS X

by Gandrija / February 14, 2007 5:46 PM PST

I bought Mac Book Pro but not new. I got all the discs with the laptop. On laptop its only windows XP installed. When I put MacOs dvd and want to install Mac OS it boot to windows. I tried to pres alt and choose where to boot, but I have only option boot to windows or boot windows disk. I am novice in this and this is my firs mac. I need help how to install MacOS.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help install Mac OS X
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help install Mac OS X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Install OS X
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 14, 2007 8:55 PM PST

Restart the machine and hold down the OPTION key and see if you get any further choices of OS to boot into.

If you do not, insert the OS DVD and shut down the machine. Restart holding down the "C" key. This should launch the OS X installer. At this stage you would probably be better off formatting the entire drive and installing OS X.
You can always use BootCamp and reinstall XP once you have OS X installed.

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
Mac OS X
by Gandrija / February 14, 2007 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Install OS X

I have already tried to press 'c' but nothing heppened still goes to windows. How do you mean format HDD bacause I am new to mac os.

Thanks for post.

Collapse -
Formatting HD's (Amended)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 7:33 AM PST
In reply to: Mac OS X

To format the HD you will have to boot from another system. Just like Windows, you cannot format the drive that you are booted from.
To boot from another system, you will need to use the OS X Installation disks.
Holding down the "C" key, until you see the gray Apple on the screen, during the boot process is the normal way to force the machine to boot from a CD. The other method is to hold down the Option key, for a very long time, and it "should" give you a choice of all available OS's to boot from.
Did this machine arrive in this condition or did you do something to it when you got it?
Just to clear everything up, given that this machine does not seem to understand a few basic Mac commands, are you absolutely sure it is a MacBook Pro? Using the email address in my profile, send me the serial number of that machine. (click on my name and you will go to my profile)

P

Collapse -
it is MacBookPro
by Gandrija / February 15, 2007 3:14 PM PST

I am sure it is Mac book pro. I bought it from some guy, and it was only windows installed on it. But I want to install Mac OS X.

Thanks for your advices.

Collapse -
Only has Windows installed
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 15, 2007 8:55 PM PST
In reply to: it is MacBookPro

The methods already described to boot a Mac from an external source, in your case the DVD drive, should be sufficient to fire this machine up.

"Option" or "C" key are the only methods of forcing the boot order when you have no access to the OS.

Is the DVD you are trying to boot from an original or is it a copy?

What is printed on the keys directly to the right and left of the space bar?

I guess you have decided against the serial number method.

P

Collapse -
Boot Camp
by terryparker / February 17, 2007 2:42 PM PST
In reply to: it is MacBookPro

If you have boot camp drivers that WILL help you. So my first question is "Do you have access to another Mac (other than you own)?" If you do then install bootcamp and burn a bootcamp drivers cd. once you have the bootcamp drivers cd startup windows and insert the cd (once in xp already). install all the drivers (basicly follow on screen instructions). once you have done that restart your computer. once you have restarted eject the bootcamp drivers cd and insert your Mac OS X installation cd. once inside XP go to the control panel (make sure its classic view). there should now be a option called "Startup Disk". run it and you should be able to choose the Mac OS X installation cd (the installation cd must be in the drive). once you have set the startup disk to the mac os x installation disks just restart your machine and all should work.
Please let me know if it worked, or if you need more help or if i have not explained it clear enough i will try to put it in bullet points. but either way please let me know how it goes.
Wish you all the best!!

Collapse -
No
by Gandrija / March 2, 2007 4:28 PM PST
In reply to: Boot Camp

I have already tried that but the problem is, when I put MacOsX disc in drive startdisk from control panel shows me windows disk not macosx, and do not want to install MacOsX.

Thanks any way. If you got somthing else I will try.

Collapse -
I have similar problem
by vangamo / March 21, 2007 4:12 PM PDT

I have just bought a used macbook pro and want to reinstall the mac os X discs so that the computer return to original form. I have successfully installed the Disc 1 after many tries and now I could not install the disc 2, the computer keep spitting out the dsic 2. Help, what do I do now?

Collapse -
Lack of information results
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: I have similar problem

in any reply being a guess.

If you are installing 10.4 you will only have one disk, a DVD.
If you are installing 10.3 you may either have a DVD or a collection of CD's.

After the successful installation of Disk 1, you will be asked to insert disk 2 ONLY if disk 2 is actually required. It contains various printer drivers and some languages. The disk is not bootable, nor will it run if it is not required.

As far as the machine is concerned, you have a fully working version of whatever OS you installed.

It would be easier to reply to your questions if you would be a little, make that a lot, more specific as to what exactly you were trying to install and which Mac you were using.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!