Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need help in setting the jumper to update BIOS

by freesiababy / July 21, 2006 4:50 PM PDT

Hi,
I have a desktop with intelP4(2.8GHz), D865PERL motherboard. Problems started when I was installing a few programs(Mutimedia and Games related) and also the latest updates of WinXP SP2 a month ago. I received a message to update my BIOS twice on the screen. My computer also started heating up in its zones (1&2) and making noises as that of a chopper flying at some distance. As I didnt know how to update BIOS and my friends opinion was not to do something none of us knew about so I did all that was possible to reduce the problems untill I get the experts' advice on this. I got new fans to reduce the noise levels, it helped but I cannot run XP for more than few minutes at a time, so I have switched to FC4, after dual booting it with the existing XP it has reduced a few problems, but sometimes overheats when playing games or movies. I have already downloaded the latest BIOS but the problem is I dont know how to or what kind of jumper to use to get the BIOS settings to 1&3 as instructed by the company for updating BIOS. I really need some help on this one, as I am really getting stressed out.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help in setting the jumper to update BIOS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help in setting the jumper to update BIOS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
why were you told to play with the jumper?
by linkit / July 21, 2006 6:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
serious problem that's why
by freesiababy / July 22, 2006 4:55 AM PDT

Its pretty hard to handle damaged stuff, hope you know that, I cant get a new pc right now it will take me very long to get one(not joking, not shy to say that I cant afford one right now and for some more months) and I need to get this one fixed, software problems do exist, hardware problems too, drives malfunction sometimes, updating windows, installing directX 9 and nvidia software perked up the processor to heat it up during installation, zone 1&2 I had problems of overheating since 1 1/2 yrs but processor overheating is serious, I switched to FC4 so I can use the programs that I really need, that gives some extra time before heating up. Processor and zones heating up, the solution is to check BIOS first, and fix it nothing else works I have already checked. I uninstalled max number of programs, checked up the installed ones too, none was overclocking the processor to heat it up. I cleared up all the doubts. Been doing that for a month, ended up with this, so if you know how to, will you please tell me, as I have no choice left. Thanks for your first post, I am serious about it so I havent touched that, need to do that away from static, or it will only worsen the problem, thats why I tried everything else other than doing that.

Collapse -
whoah!
by linkit / July 22, 2006 11:16 AM PDT

1. Slow down. Happy

2. If you give direct answers to my questions from the earlier post, you should get some good answers.

3. Computers are big expenses for most everyone. No shame in that.

The bottom line I am getting is that you are experiencing heat problems.

Clean all case filters, fans, and heatsinks (especially CPU heatsink) with a can of compressed air (really, it does work for many computers).

What specific temperature data do you have for the system and CPU? What is your room temperature? Download SpeedFan if you need a utility for this.

I take it FC4 = Fedora Core 4.

Is there a specific BIOS download that addressed the heat/fan issue? If not, you don't need a BIOS upgrade.

Collapse -
You sure?
by jnbhoward / July 21, 2006 11:09 PM PDT

It's virtually never that you have to update your BIOS for any reason. So are you sure you aren't just misinterpreting what the message said, or possible remembering the message incorrectly?

Collapse -
I updated a bios once
by PudgyOne / July 22, 2006 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: You sure?

I updated a bios once. You download the bios from the website. You then put the bios on a floppy. Shut down the computer and restart it with the floppy still in. It will install itself.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
anecdotal, but true
by linkit / July 22, 2006 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: You sure?

Dell issued an advisory for some Inspiron notebook models that they should update BIOS to take care of a CPU heat issue. I happened to be one of those owners.

Still, I really would like to know the specific message that cybersid26 received. I wonder why he/she hasn't told us yet?

Collapse -
found message on two accounts both when using multimedia.
by freesiababy / July 23, 2006 4:48 PM PDT
In reply to: anecdotal, but true

Sorry this one's lengthy one, find everthing you want to know here. I have tried my best to include my whole experience with this heating problem.

After my PC got damaged 1 1/2 yrs ago, I installed everything back as it was before, drivers included, the old ATI card which I had, didnt accept the OS, gave me a shock as it was fine before, Win XP didnt accept the card, both conflicted, directX didnt install properly, after doing whatever was possible to get everything to work properly, I rebooted. Everythings fine running ATI on Xabre driver, directX installed, 2 months no problem except it overheated sometimes not very often though.

I got NFS2 game(not an original one) and installed it. When I wanted to play it never started, the message though I dont remember exactly, no photographic memory in my head, my apologies, it covered most of the screen, it started with 'error' as any other would, under 'details' it went on describing problems with display adapter, PnP(monitor). It also indicated that directX, display driver, bios needs updating or reinstalling and it never detected the cd in any of the two drives(that's about a year ago). I immediately uninstalled it as I doubted maybe its some virus or something messing with my system as I knew this kind of message usually doesnt appear as everything looked alright but several times of scanning with different antiviruses, found nothing wrong with the programs on the hdd.

I had bios of 2002, I updated once in 2003, didnt update after that, this was happening in 2005, another game prince of persia(6 months ago) too didnt start, the real arcade games, games present in WinXP too never started, got the same message once more, if they started they would heatup the PC and it would shut down in less than 2min. Using mutimedia was impossible, couldnt watch any video clips too.

Intel's Active Monitor & Desktop Center, both detected overheating, temperature:75

Collapse -
Dude! Lay off the crack.
by linkit / July 23, 2006 6:40 PM PDT

0. If you didn't state that you were ill with the flu, I would have advised you to stay away from amphetamines. Simple answers to simple questions is all that was needed. Sometimes ''I don't know'' or ''I'm not sure'' is better than an autobiography.

1. If you are using any pirated software (OS or otherwise), don't expect it to work properly, and you won't get help here.

2. If your ''PC got damaged,'' it's very possible that there is no software/BIOS solution. The time and money put into the fix will more than cover an inexpensive i865PE chipset motherboard. Very inexpensive these days.

3. BIOS: Just download and install the latest BIOS for your motherboard. Usually, you don't have to touch a motherboard jumper just to updade the BIOS. DID YOU EVEN TRY TO UPDATE THE BIOS YET?

D865PERL BIOS files

If you want to cause more trouble by messing around with the BIOS jumper, be my guest. Instructions in the manual.
PDF (758K): ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/C3176401.pdf

P.14 motherboard diagram. ''Z'' is ''BIOS Setup Configuration Jumper Block''
P.74 ''BIOS Setup Configuration Jumper Block''
P.75 BIOS Setup Configuration Jumper Settings (what you are seeking).

Another link: http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/rl_confg.htm

Unless Intel (not your ATI card) has a notice that there is a BIOS fix for your heat problem, then YOUR HEAT PROBLEM HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BIOS.

After getting the latest BIOS installed in your computer, I would properly remove the thermal compound from the heatsink and CPU cap ACCORDING TO INSTRUCTIONS. Next I would apply a good thermal compound, such as Arctic Silver 5, according to its instructions. It is very important that you follow the instructions PRECISELY. Too much or too little compound will cause problems.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Collapse -
Couple of things
by jnbhoward / July 23, 2006 11:44 PM PDT

First, it's a myth that what you did would give you a cold/flu, which are a viral disease. They are caused by your body being invaded by a virus, nothing else. There are plenty of negative health effects that can be caused by cold temps, but any kind of influenza is not one of them.

At this point, there's no way to tell what's wrong because you've failed to give any real specifics about the system. You give a long detailed story that doesn't do anything to help with your problem.

You say the system was damaged a while back. You neglect to mention how, but it sounds like since that point everything has been slowly degrading to the point you're at now. If that's the case, your system may very well be toast. If you hadn't been trying to push things all this time, you might have been able to salvage some of the parts, but you've probably damaged those as well by now.

You said you wouldn't be able to get a new system for some time, but you could always get a used system. The question really becomes whether you want/need a computer just for gaming, or is it more important to have something that works as a word processor and Internet terminal? If all you want is gaming, you could probably get a used game console and a few games. And if games aren't that important, you shouldn't have any problem finding a cheap Pentium 3 or so class system on ebay. It won't be winning any performance awards, but it will get you by until you can afford something better.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?