Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Need help in selecting / setting up a wireless network

by mirakidog / May 3, 2007 8:50 AM PDT

I am looking at setting up a home wireless network connecting one notebook and two desktops. The usage is primarily basic internet / surfing etc. The notebook is at the 2nd floor, one desktop at the first floor and a second in the basement. I have a cable modem connection and at various deals bought the following routers: D Link DI524 G54 Airplus G, Trendnet TEW 432BRP and a Linksys WTR54GS with speedbooster.

1/ Of the three which is a better router
2/ What other equipment / hardware do i need and any suggestions / recommendations on same

I would like to set up the network next week and any help would be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help in selecting / setting up a wireless network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help in selecting / setting up a wireless network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I own the 524.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 9:00 AM PDT

Just replaced it because it's pretty dated. Works well but.. dated.

Try the D Link DI524 G54 Airplus G,or Linksys WTR54GS

The BIG PROPLEM I see here is that you may try to cover 3 floors. If you don't strategically locate the wifi router just so you'll probably complain of poor reception through 2 floors...

The newer MIMO Routers could help

I picked up some WPNT834 for under 70 bucks refurb and it has better coverage than the old 524 but I can't figure out a few things I did with my old router. Still it's a step up.

Collapse -
Another question
by mirakidog / May 3, 2007 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I own the 524.

The laptop in question is a Toshiba A135-S4467 model and per the specs includes -

? Toshiba V.92 software modem10
? 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet
? Integrated Wireless-LAN:11
o Intel

Collapse -
(NT) "Intel
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 10:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Another question
Collapse -
by mirakidog / May 3, 2007 9:52 PM PDT
In reply to: "Intel

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?