Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Need help in recovering photos

Nov 20, 2008 9:20AM PST

had to do a winXP reinstall, no reformat, just a reinstall. All our Xmas photos from years past are gone. Am pleading for the best advice/suggestions as to what program to use. Of course I'd like to download a freebie from CNET, but if that's not possible, I'll pay the $40 to buy one. Again, i dont need any other files, just the pictures.

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
For a freebie...
Nov 20, 2008 11:29AM PST

Recuvia, from the makers of CCleaner, is one of the better options, recovering files of all types. But remember that every second that computer is running, and every program you install, decrease your chances of recovering your files. Thus, you best bet is to turn it off now and connect the hard drive to another computer via an external hard drive enclosure, attempting the recovery using that system instead.

John

- Collapse -
Yes, you can download free alternative
Jan 9, 2012 6:35PM PST