Cameras forum

General discussion

Need help in deciding my second Camera

by abhisheks77 / July 18, 2013 9:16 AM PDT

Hi All,

I m not a professional photographer, but I love to click photos. I have been using my Lumix point and shoot from past 3 years. Now I want to change it and willing to upgrade it. I have been reading lot of posts on internet and somewhat confused about, what should be better for me.
I would have love to take DSLR, but only reason which is pushing me back is its bulkyness and weight.

My preferences will be --
- I love to travel and really walk for long sometimes. I will go for non-dslr's if I can get same image quality in them.
- My photography will not be in sports/actions or it doesn't require very fast capturing.
- I would definitely like to have some control on fuctions and can play and experiment with them.
- Much of time, I will be clicking landscpaes, family, gathering, mountains, desearts, wilflife, so it means a bit of everything.
- Occassionally will shoot video also and expect it to be good.
- I may not go beyond 750$.
- Not sure, if I plan to choose a photography class sometime later, will it require to have DSLR ?
- Wifi, GPS not required.

If I am understanding correctly, below camera will give me almost equivalent image as DSLR's
Sony NEX-5/6.
Samsung NX300/NX1000.
Fuji X-M1 - Price not known, but I saw good reviews on internet.
Panasonic LUMIX FZ72 - Price not known yet, but seems very promising camera.
Sony Alpha SLT series.

If I need to do too much compromise, I can opt for DSLR (light-weighted). Minimum I can see is Canon 100D. Except this one, others will go till 750 grams (including lens).
Few of my (better photographer than me) friends suggested that, why I shouldn't go for DSLR's if I am ready to pay 700$ in compact/mirrorless/bridge cameras. Only because of little more weight, huh ? Not sure, if this question is worth thinking.

I am new to this field and so many reviews posts confused me. I would really appreciate if experts can suggest me what would be better according to my preferences. Hope I am clear in, what I expect.
Once I get some suggestions for few cameras, I will narrow down my list and read more on them.

Regards
Abhishek

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help in deciding my second Camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help in deciding my second Camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nod to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

I cut the weight of my Canon t3i by fitting it with a 40mm lens. Much more compact and I think it's going to get a lot more use than the stock lens.

However, look again at mirrorless DSLRs.
Bob

Collapse -
wide angle limitation
by abhisheks77 / July 18, 2013 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Nod to

I will loose lot of flexibility on wide angle. Isn't ?
How about my other options ? Shouldn't I look anything other than DSLR's ?

Collapse -
Mine came with the usual 18-55mm so no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: wide angle limitation
Collapse -
Another question
by abhisheks77 / July 18, 2013 2:44 PM PDT

In a full frame camera like DSLRs, 40 mm will act like a telephoto lens. If I like to clik image of a group in a small room, would it not be difficult ?

Collapse -
You could find out. I did!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Another question

That 40mm image displayed at 1 to 1 on the usual screen seems to answer this. Your 55mm on the noted camera seems close to what the human eye sees so to call less than that telephoto is odd to me.

And just for you I pulled up my t3i and fit the stock 18-55mm on it and at 55mm, what I see TTL (through the lens) matched what I see with my other eye. So 40mm pulls back a little and gives me a little more than the eye would see. I found the extra clarity and the fact the flash was not going off all the time really nice.
Bob

Collapse -
Narrowing down my choices
by abhisheks77 / July 19, 2013 10:17 AM PDT

Thanks Bob.
I have narrowed down my choices. And here it is what I think -
Panasonic G6 is not available os of now. Do we know, when it is goign to be for sale ?
I can see on Amazon, Panasonic DMC-G5KK is there. Are there major difference between G5 and G6, if I can go with first one ? G5 is more than 200$ lower than G6. Another question about G5/6, it doesn't have Image Stabilization. Does it make a big difference ?
Olympus EPL-5 - I couldn't found this in stores. Need to check out more stores to see it physically.
Canon EOS M - Was reading about it and few blogs say that it is having auto-focus problem. Is it true ?
Sony Alpha SLT-A57 - Few blogs says it is 750+ grams (which equal to usual DSLR) and some says it is lighter. Not
getting correct weight.
Above is at one category. ORELSE, I will go with Canon T3i.

What are your thoughts please ?

Collapse -
Nice choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 10:59 AM PDT

"Temporarily out of stock." Sorry but I'm not privy to manufacturing dates, where the products are on what ocean so I can't help.

However auto-focus can fail on any camera so i tend to dismiss such when I can go manual. The pict and movie was in auto focus auto everything mode for the examples above. Still wish I carried the tripod that day.

The weight seems to move around as some change or leave out the battery or change lens. Fun.
Bob

Collapse -
Finalised
by abhisheks77 / July 22, 2013 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice choice.

I got a very good deal from Samy for Panasonic G5 + 14-42mm + 45-140mm + 16gb sd card. Finally I am happy. Thanks to Bob for helping me in finalising my camera.

Need last recommendation, being newbie and my first complicated camera, is there any book (or video) specifically for G5, which can help me to learn on this? As of now I am ok with auto, but would definitely like to play to get maximum of it. As of now, I am just new to this. Still think where to use 14-42mm and where to use 45-140mm Happy

Collapse -
When I change lens is when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2013 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Finalised

I can't frame the shot. However I've found that the newer photographers often forget we usually can step closer or farther back to get our shot. Also since we can crop later it's better to take the shot rather than fuss about it and miss the shot.

I'm unsure if a book is needed for the basics.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!