Question

Need Help In deciding Hardware Array - Boot disc and storage

I am udgrading my Optiplex 170L. It has a IDE and SATA connection. I disconnected the IDE and added a 1 TB SATA drive. Now I want redundacy. So I am thinking if getting a PCI RAID Card and another 1 TB HDD and set them up as RAID 1. As I was exploring this option, I was told it will be better if I have a separate boot drive so the virus can not mess things up. Question is, if I added another drive to set it up as a boot drive ie C drive. How do I then configure the two 1 TB drives as a RAID 1 for storage of data? Is this possible? Any suggestions appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need Help In deciding Hardware Array - Boot disc and storage
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need Help In deciding Hardware Array - Boot disc and storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sadly this legend continues.

Modern malware will not respect boundaries such as a boot drive and a data drive. Years ago folk peddled advice that partitions would protect your files during infection or an OS install.

Today we see this was all wishful thinking as folk lost it all over and over.

Let's say you wanted to have a backup copy. Why not one of those fine SYNC APPLICATIONS like Goodsync, Syncback or many others and when you feel the need or weekly, run the sync and then put the drive back into storae?
Bob

- Collapse -
Profitt

Thanks. All I am looking for is redundancy for my impoprtant tax papers etc. So your suggestion is to get an external drive and back it up periodically? If so, what do I need? I see weekly ads for external harddrives. If I buy one of those, do I need additional software to do the back up or it comes with a back up software?
Thanks.

- Collapse -
We can get redundant today.

We have Google Docs, Dropbox and more. The days where you could lose your documents end when folk take advantage of "today's solutions."

As to USB drives, some folk use what it comes with but I prefer titles I've worked with before due to the fact they do not squirrel away the files in any proprietary locker.

RAID 1 while interesting is not a very good safeguard from my view over the past decades as the error on one drive automatically is copied to the next. Delete the file and poof, it's gone on both drives. We can find scenario after scenario where RAID 1 didn't save us.

However try bombing that USB drive that's off in the file cabinet or all copies at once out there. It's really tough.
Bob

CNET Forums