Question

Need help in choosing a video camera under $1000

Hello Everyone!

Are there any better options for cameras that are under $1000 that could take better videos? The Camera/Camcorder will be used 90% to take videos. Right now I'm thinking about the Sony AX53 and the Lumix G7.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help in choosing a video camera under $1000
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help in choosing a video camera under $1000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
That's not a camcorder.

I can't tell what else matters to you. That is, will the 30fps UHD issue matter for you?

What cameras do you have now? That is, I've lost count of folk that have a camera, camcorder or phone but only needed a tripod or lighting to get the quality up.

That is, some folk try to solve basic gaffes with better cameras.

- Collapse -
Answer
Use?

Plus.
What is it going to be used for?
Do you want 4K or will HD be adequate?
Is audio important? Do you need a decent mic or a stand alone recorder?(Zoom or Tascam)
Why do you choose a DSLR? Does the Sony have a mic socket?
How do you propose to edit the video?

- Collapse -
Answer
agree with

Bob and Terfyn...

The Panasonic Lumic G7 is a 4/3 interchange nab;e less camera designed to capture digital still images. Link to the manual:
ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/camera/om/dmc-g7_adv_en_om.pdf
Page 35 tells us that recording stops when the clip reaches 29 minutes, 59 seconds. or when the file size gets to 4 gig. Assuming the camera has not already overheated and shut down to cool off (see next item) you can just press record - and miss the most important 3 seconds of whatever it is that was being recorder.
Recording video starts on page 242.
Page 244 tells us this camera can overheat and automatically shut down until cool enough to use again (same on page 390). It also tells us the internal mic will record internal camera noises (zoom motor, auto-aperture, etc).
Page 245 tells us slow autofocus during video capture is not a malfunction.
There is a 3.5mm external stereo mic connection and decent granular manual audio gain control.

The Sony FDR-AX53 is a mid-level consumer-grade 4K video capture device designed to capture video. Link to the manual:
https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4586523111.pdf
Pretty quick read - Let me know if you find any of the issues listed above... It also has a 3.5mm stereo audio input. Bonus: NightShot feature for shooting in zero visible light using a built-in infrared emitter as the light source.

This does not mean the G7 can't capture good video - it can. But you need to be able to work around the known, published issues that plague dSLR video capture by folks who think "looks more professional" = "my video will be somehow better". You still need to understand and properly deal with audio, lighting and steadying devices.

If you choose to continue down the G7 path, it is the rough equivalent of getting a passenger vehicle to haul dirt when a pick-up truck will be much more efficient.

CNET Forums