HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

NEED HELP I AM AT A LOSS

by TGZmrhat / October 17, 2006 6:13 AM PDT

I am working on a computer and when I boot it up it goes to a black screen and asks for a password --- but I am unable to type anything at all.
What happened is someone I know has a computer and her daughter came by last week and started screwing with the thing and now we cant even get into the bios.
So my questions are do you think the keyboard is bad and that is why I cant type anything --- and how do I get past the password cause she has no Idea what her daughter set it up for and the daughter didn't know she even did it so I need to get passed it to to be able to shut it off (which is in the bios I think right)
Any help would be great thanks all

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEED HELP I AM AT A LOSS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEED HELP I AM AT A LOSS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bios
by kalric / October 17, 2006 6:45 AM PDT

It does sound like a BIOS password issue. One thing to check...sometimes in the BIOS the USB devices don't work before you get the password entered, so if you do have a USB keyboard, you may need to find a PS2 style to get past it.

Another thing is to find the jumper on the motherboard and erase the BIOS password. Get the model of the motherboard (if you have it), or call the manufacturer of the computer and they should be able to help you.

Hope this helps.
Shayne

Collapse -
You can also try
by PudgyOne / October 17, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.