General discussion

Need help getting rid of dangerous trojan fast

My computer has got a trojanfaleAV Virus (at least I think that's what it's called.) It's basically imitating windows vista security system and coming up every few minutes saying I'm being hacked etc. I did a Norton antivirus scan, which confirmed this. It said the threat had been fixed and I did not see it again for several hours. However, just now, it's come back, so obviously it was never gone in the first place.

I'm really worried about what it could do to my system and want to fix it fast. Obviously Norton can't fix it. I'm not great with technology, so I doubt I'd be able to fix it manually on my own. Are there any (ideally free) programs out there that can fix it for me?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Need help getting rid of dangerous trojan fast
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help getting rid of dangerous trojan fast
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A Place to Start..

Sparlingfairy..

Have a look at the below removal guide. Scroll down to where you see "Automated Removal Instructions for ....", and follow all the steps. See if it helps.

How to remove XP Security Tool 2010, XP Defender Pro, and Vista Security Tool 2010 (Uninstall Guide)

In addition to the above, I would also suggest running a Complete Scan in Safe Mode with SUPERAntiSpyware. You can download SUPERAntiSpyware FREE VERSION for Home Users from here. After SUPERAntiSpyware loads, make sure to click the Check for Updates button, before running the scan.

Just prior to running both scans, temporarily disable NAV, so there's no interference. The same holds true, if you have Spybot's Teatimer running. It needs to be (temporarily) disabled.

Let us know how you make out. Or if you run into any problems along the way.

Best of luck and have a good holiday..
Carol

- Collapse -
Another problem...

Thank you for your prompt reply.

In the end I downloaded spybot and ran a scan. Since running the scan I have had no further warnings about the virus. However, today, I loggged onto my account and a window opened (the black window with white text on it - I think its part of the computer system.) Then a box came up which said "MicrosoftOffice/Illegal request." I cannot remember what it said word-for-word. However, I am now extremely worried that illegal activity is happening on my computer via trojans etc. and that the trojan may not have gone afterall.

Shall I still follow the steps in the instructions you linked? Other than this, the computer appears to be working normally.

- Collapse -
I would suggest..

I would suggest installing and running SUPERAntiSpyware, as instructed in the above post. Only to make sure Spybot didn't miss anything.

Let us know how it goes.

Carol

CNET Forums