Question

Need help from experienced 1996 Jeep cherokee sport operator

I have a 1996 cherokee sport. 4.0l. Automatic. Before the problem arose the jeep quit showing fault codes. So I couldn't read the codes by turning the key on and off a few times then leave the key in the on position.
Then while driving at 60 miles per hour the jeep quit. I coasted to a stop. It turned over but felt like out of fuel although I had a full tank. I could hear the fuel pump go on when I turned the key on. No spark. Towed it home and am guessing that the computer has died. Anyone have any ideas? It was showing two o2 codes so switched the upper sensor for a used one. The jeep ran ok before it quit on the freeway. I can't see changing a pile of parts hoping to find the problem when they all worked prior to the jeep stalling while going 60 mph. And what's the trick to remove the computer connections? Is that a quick release? I want to be able to reconnect a new brain if I need to. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need help from experienced 1996 Jeep cherokee sport operator
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help from experienced 1996 Jeep cherokee sport operator
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
PCM

Hi, Kerry; A '96 vehicle should be OBDII, thus needing a scanner to 'pull codes'. You very well could have other codes stored that you aren't seeing. The PCM would be the last thing I'd expect. Although we have replaced several Chrys. Product PCMs over the years, it is uncommon. If you are not getting spark, make certain that you have voltage to the coil. There is a fuse for the PCM in the fuse box. I'd suspect distributor or ignition control module, but need to do testing prior to replacing anything.
Good luck.
Loren

- Collapse -
1996 jeep cherokee sport 4.0L automatic. Quit @ 60 mph

Hi Loren and thanks for your reply. I think it is obdII but I have never connected a scanner to pull the codes. All I did to read the codes is turn my ignition key on and off three times leaving the key in the on position then the check engine light would flash. Count the flashes and the pauses and it's the same as connecting a code fault scanner. The check engine light disappeared a day or two before it quit. I mean it was gone. It used to appear when I turned the key on. That was the reason I thought it was the computer. I will pull all the fuses and see if one popped. Oh ya if the fuse did pop any ideas where to look for the offending bare wire? Thanks in advance for any help on this matter. Kerry

- Collapse -
CEL

Hi, Kerry; If the CEL isn't illuminating with the ignition on, could be that the bulb has burned out? We see that a lot when someone buys a used vehicle. They'll take the bulb out so it doesn't illuminate.
But, not so in your case. Happy Some auto parts stores will either rent or loan (with deposit) a basic scanner. The cigarette lighter and the ALDL run off of the same fuse, so might want to check that one, also. A real long-shot, but might want to take off the distributor cap, crank the engine over and make sure that the rotor is turning. Also, look for any carbon-tracking in the cap. Are you here, in the US? All vehicles sold here in '96 had to have OBDII. (I think some trucks were exempt the first year)
Good luck.
Loren

- Collapse -
CEL

Found it...there was a fuse gone...I pulled every fuse until the very last one I pulled was burnt. Changed it along with a couple relays and the ignition coil and she's sitting in the front driveway right now. Thanks Loren. Best regards, Kerry

- Collapse -
Fuse

Great job, Kerry; So glad it was an easy fix!
Loren

- Collapse -
CEL

what is the ALDL?

- Collapse -
CEL

Is it the Assembly Line Diagnostic Link ?

- Collapse -
ALDL

Yes, it is where you access the PCM with a scanner.

CNET Forums

Forum Info