Computer Help forum

General discussion

need help formatting a drive out of a DVR

by salworks4u / October 19, 2008 10:22 AM PDT

I purchased 2 hard drives out of a dvr system. When I hooked them up, my computer didn't show them. I've got a Dell inspiron with vista athlon 64 dual core in case that matters. I want to format them for use as storage, any advise? The drives are western digital caviar se 500gb SATA drives.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help formatting a drive out of a DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help formatting a drive out of a DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Checked Disc Managment?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 10:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
tried that -didn't work-thanks
by salworks4u / October 19, 2008 12:57 PM PDT

I tried that but that didn't work---it says :disk 1 unknown/Not Initialized-so i rt clicked to initialize....=the drive cannot find the sector requested. any other ideas??? thanks grif

Collapse -
Did you
by Jimmy Greystone / October 19, 2008 1:06 PM PDT

Did you partition it like was suggested in Grif's post? Meaning deleting any existing partitions and creating new ones.

If that doesn't work, there's a chance the drives are locked. If that's the case, unless you can guess the password to unlock them, you bought yourself a couple of useless drives.

Collapse -
The Link I Provided Showed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 1:34 PM PDT

..this:

3. Right-click an unallocated region on your hard disk, and then click New Simple Volume.
4. In the New Simple Volume Wizard, click Next.
5. Type the size of the volume you want to create in megabytes (MB) or accept the maximum default size, and then click Next.
6. Accept the default drive letter or choose a different drive letter to identify the partition, and then click Next.
7. In the Format Partition dialog box, do one of the following:
?
If you don't want to format the volume right now, click Do not format this volume, and then click Next.
?
To format the volume with the default settings, click Next.

8. Review your choices, and then click Finish.

Are you not able to do the steps above?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
UPDATE
by salworks4u / October 19, 2008 1:55 PM PDT

DID EVERYTHING YOU SAID-WHEN I RIGHT CLICK THE ONLY OPTIONS I HAVE ARE--INITIALIZE DISK/PROPERTIES/HELP---IT SHOWS NO PARTITIONS EITHER/NO BLUE LINES -WISH I COULD DO A SNAPSHOT TO SHOW YOU.

Collapse -
Just another link and...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2008 12:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by salworks4u / October 20, 2008 1:19 AM PDT

tried that too but no go-there's no blue or black lines indicating partitions or allocated space. any other ideas? both show/do the same thing.

Collapse -
it's dead or badly configured.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2008 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Sorry, if the drives do not show in the BIOS screen or you forgot to connect a power or data cable then you need to review your work.
Bob

Collapse -
new
by salworks4u / October 20, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

they do show in the bios screen- they say "sector not found" when i try to initialize them. any ideas--thanks

Collapse -
Looks dead to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2008 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: new

Last hurrah? The drive maker's test programs.

Collapse -
Why not try the WD Diags to test the drives and to wipe
by VAPCMD / October 20, 2008 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks dead to me.

'em ?

Once wiped...you should be able to connect partition and use normally.

Also depends on what version of the OS you are using as to how much of the HDD you see when you try to partition and format.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.