PC Hardware forum

Question

Need help finding new PSU

I recently installed a Radeon HD 5450 on my desktop and found out that it needs at least 400W. I have a 250W PSU and I'm having trouble finding the right PSU. I want a PSU for at least 30 bucks and not something crazy like 90 bucks. I have a Compaq Presario SR5250NX. If anyone can help that would be appreciated. I'm really noobish at finding the stuff.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need help finding new PSU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need help finding new PSU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The 5450 should be fine.

In reply to: Need help finding new PSU

The 400 is to indemnify the company. It should be fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Doesn't work still

In reply to: The 5450 should be fine.

The 5450 won't display, it runs but it won't display cause I need a better PSU. Like you said the 5450 is fine but it won't display at all.

Collapse -
Odd.

In reply to: Doesn't work still

Does the card work in other PCs? Why I ask is the 5450 is such a low power draw that when it doesn't work I'm looking for other issues.

Keep in mind I didn't start shopping for any PSU for a few reasons. You could be anywhere in the world. In the USA try Newegg.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I'm with Bob Proffitt

In reply to: Need help finding new PSU

on this one. I had the 5450 in an old Dell 530s for a couple of years with a 250 watt PSU and it ran fine.
When the Dell eventually died I installed the 5450 in a friends computer with the same 250 watt PSU and it it still running great.

Digger

Collapse -
You were right about the PSU but it won't display still

In reply to: I'm with Bob Proffitt

OK so you guys were right about the PSU, the card is not working still, won't display and my computer won't detect it. Any ideas?

Collapse -
Did you use

In reply to: You were right about the PSU but it won't display still

the installation disc that came with the GPU ? You need the drivers.

Digger

Collapse -
So I need to install drivers first?

In reply to: Did you use

When I insert the disc, it trys to detect the 5450, but it doesn't so it leads me to nothing. Should I look for it online?

Collapse -
Maybe a bum GPU

In reply to: So I need to install drivers first?

or cable. Have you tried a different cable or tried the GPU in another computer?

Digger

Collapse -
I don't have another PC to try it on

In reply to: Maybe a bum GPU

but I will try another cable

Collapse -
turn off any onboard video

In reply to: So I need to install drivers first?

and I'm assuming you have your monitor plugged into the back of the video card and not to the onboard video, if it exists?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.