General discussion

Need help finding and deleting all the duplicate files

Here is a "hypothetical" question for you. Say for instance I have a 10k song library of MP3's. Now my friend has a song library of 22k songs. Is there a program that would assist me in finding which songs are duplicates and which ones are not. Am I stuck going track to track.

Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Need help finding and deleting all the duplicate files
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Need help finding and deleting all the duplicate files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
A question...

Would it be safe to assume duplicates would have the same file name and/or size/properties? If so you can use a standard duplicate finder application, such as Duplicate File Finder (freeware). On the other hand, if duplicates could have different file properties you'll need something more advanced, particularly if they're recorded and not downloaded/ripped songs since there would likely be no tags attached.

Let us know.
John

- Collapse -
I tried

I've tried that one and a few others.
Duplicate File Finder
Duplicate File Detective
and another one

None seem to do what I'm looking for. I have most everything tagged - Itunes tells me that there are a ton of duplicates, but to do it through itunes I would have to go file by file choosing "show in windows explorer" and deleting from there checking where its at. Are there any programs that use ID3 tags to check for dups.

- Collapse -
If your on a multi user machine don't.

Do you have more then one act enabled on this machine? If you do these maybe your other family members files. Untracked by Dango517

- Collapse -
nope

only one user on this computer

CNET Forums

Forum Info