Computer Help forum

General discussion

Need Help Finding A Processor Upgrade.

by dbanderson43903 / August 23, 2006 9:17 AM PDT

I need to upgrade my processor, but I don't know where to shop or how to find a processor that's compatible with my system. I have a Dell Dimension L800r running Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Dan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help Finding A Processor Upgrade.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help Finding A Processor Upgrade.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure?
by Darton Fury / August 23, 2006 9:21 AM PDT

How did you decide you need a CPU upgrade? Perhaps a RAM upgrade is all you need.

Collapse -
RAM upgrade.
by dbanderson43903 / August 24, 2006 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Are you sure?

Thanks for your reply. I have already upgraded my RAM. I have the maximum RAM for my system. I want a new processor b/c I recently ran a diagnostic tool provided by my ISP (MSN) and it indicated that my processor was insufficient for my system.

Collapse -
For compatibility...
by John.Wilkinson / August 23, 2006 10:03 AM PDT

In order to determine processor compatibility we need to know which motherboard you have. If you're not sure you can use the free program Everest to find out. Using that we can suggest processors that are available to you without replacing the mobo.

Before you go buying a processor, though, make sure you actually need a new one first...tell us what seems to be wrong. Also, remember that your motherboard limits what processors you can upgrade to...that 4-year-old computer will not be able to run a modern processor, so you'd likely have to track one down from about that era. In that case it may not worth the cost and trouble. Like Darton said, you'd get more out of a RAM upgrade, which is cheaper anyways.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Here's some more info...
by dbanderson43903 / August 24, 2006 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: For compatibility...

Thanks, John. I will run the Everest program as soon as possible and tell you the results. Here is the reason why I want to upgrade my processor: My system originally came with WinMe. Last year, I upgraded my RAM. I have the maximum RAM for my system, so there's nothing to be done there. A couple of months ago, I installed a super cheapie antivirus/anti-spyware program I bought at Wal-Mart(against my better judgement.) My system crashed. I lost a bunch of system files and Internet Explorer 6. I used the software that came with my computer to get it up and running again, but I was back to Internet Explorer 5. I had the most recent copy of my MSN software, but every time I tried to install it I would get a dialogue box that said the installation coundn't be completed b/c I didn't have IE 6. I called MSN's support line and of course they couldn't help me. I drove to OfficeMax b/c I live in a rural area and they are the only place you can go to for help w/computers here. They told me my options were to get IE 6 from a friend's computer or upgrade to WinXP. I decided to upgrade to XP. Since I installed XP, my computer has been running satisfactorily, but sometimes it is unsatisfactorily slow. Yesterday, MSN offered a free download of a utility that checks your MSN installation for errors. The only error it found on my computer is that my processor isn't fast enough. It got me to thinking that maybe I should try to upgrade to a faster processor before it's too late for my elderly computer. I'll only consider buying a new computer if this one becomes completely inoperable, b/c I just don't have the money right now. If upgrading my processor turns out to be too expensive, I just won't do it. Thanks for your help, John.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 800MHz PIII? You might need a new computer.
by linkit / August 23, 2006 10:04 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?