Phones forum

General discussion

Need Help finding a cell phone for the Deaf

by Marajak / November 11, 2010 12:51 PM PST

Hi:

I am a full deaf person and right now the only phone I can understand at all on is a Virgin I don't even know much about it but someone got it for me very inexpensive which is good because I have to buy so much deaf equipment the costs are very high. Anyway it allows me to be able to hear it ring and would break a normal person's ear drum. The problem is it really doesn't have any equipment on it for the deaf and I still have a very hard time having a conversation and people get very irritated with me if I am in public because they can hear both sides of the conversation. I understand their not wanting to hear my conversation I don't even want them to but I don't have a choice.
Is there any company that actually has built in equipment so that I can use what we call a "loop" that makes it so only I hear the conversation also where it has closed caption maybe but most of all technology in it so that I can actually have a conversation with someone.
I appreciate any one who knows where for me to search what companies do put technology in their cell phones for the deaf.
Thank you
Marajak

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Need Help finding a cell phone for the Deaf
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Need Help finding a cell phone for the Deaf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HATIS
by Pepe7 / November 12, 2010 12:35 AM PST

HATIS is one type of technology I have read about. It doesn't sound though like it's precisely what you are after.

http://www.hatishearing.com/

I'd also try to contact a major wireless carrier, like Verizon, who would be more likely to generally cater to large groups of individuals with hearing loss (perhaps at the corporate level, etc.). IMHO contacting them via email may not be the best method to solve this problem unless you are initially inquiring about making an appointment to speak with a Verizon rep in person at a location near you who knows ESL, etc.

I also found the following site which might be worth contacting as well-
http://www.teltex.com/

Collapse -
Hatis response on cell phone info for the deaf
by Marajak / November 12, 2010 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: HATIS

Thank you so much. Any help to start with and who knows where that might lead. Doesn't seem too many people are up on technology for the disabled I got to do something about that. We contribute to society and there are millions of us out there.
But I appreciate you responding and at least giving me a start.
I will check out the sites and also I live where Sprint has its International Headquarters but they don't offer much so far as I have read for the deaf. Maybe I should just drive over there and see if they would let me in to talk to someone.
Again thanks for the response,
Marajak

Collapse -
phone deaf healp
by tedtks / November 12, 2010 4:54 PM PST

I will be tracking this thread - deaf my right ear, hardly hear in other.
listen to tv with head phones - someone wanted to see how loud I had
it and never got it close to their head LOL Sound goes thru an amp !
also have a speach impediment so I cant use a phone and when only a
phone is used I get someone to do it for me. will be liveing alone
next spring and will be looking at a phone that only recvs calls to
a recorder but allows only 911 calls out. otherwise its email for
family. there havent been a lot of outfits online that have decent
hearing impaired equipment but it seems to be slowly increaseing. like
the teltex that was mentioned - saved to fav's.
I have a digital clock that has a vibrator that u slip under the pilow
that will def get u up LOL.
technology is slow but its getting there - good luck on your search.

Collapse -
phone deaf help response
by Marajak / November 13, 2010 4:23 AM PST
In reply to: phone deaf healp

tedtks:

Man you sound like me. I also live alone and am trying to do work so I am making my own way and not living off the government. I have much to offer as I am sure you do. The two sites by pepe7 they had some good stuff that I am going to check out but again it is expensive so I have to pick and choose carefully. For all the people out there don't think this does not affect you. I could hear all my life never gave a thought to the disabled or deaf and I am a nurse. I got sick 5 years ago and woke up deaf. I have been told that people especially from the baby boomers because of the loud music you can go deaf in a minute without ever finding out the cause. It is scary so this technology is important for everyone. I have a blog where I take people through my experience because it is far from over.
I am going to find help somewhere and spend my remaining years teaching people and enlightening them about the disabled.
I have 3 degrees and counsel young people on line have been doing that for 10 years and I am making a difference so I do have skills that are needed and I will not give up. Like you I am also disabled in other ways but because of the computer I know I can make my business on line a success.
You hang in there too and don't give up on being a success and make your goals come true. Everyone has a deficit we can let it beat us or we can make it work for us.
God Bless and pepe7 your information was very very helpful thank you again.
Marajak

Collapse -
help response
by tedtks / November 13, 2010 7:14 AM PST

you didnt post your web site. would b interested to check it out.
never know what I might be able - or not - to do - help etc.
maybe just kibitz LOL
ted

Collapse -
Response to tedks
by Marajak / November 13, 2010 10:12 AM PST
In reply to: help response

I have two Blogs and then of course my site for counseling young people with problems.
One Blog I have not written on for 2 years but it tells my story. I stopped writing when my mother became terminally ill and she just died. So I will start it back now. The second Blog I am writing on every few days. It is more about going after the medical system in the country and how the government is way off on knowing what is really going on. I figure I have nothing to lose by telling it all I have lost everything because of our broken medical system and I can talk from both sides now as a nurse and as a patient. I won't take up anymore time on this forum about things that don't relate to cell phones so here are my blogs if you wish to correspond write me from one of them.
www.findingourway.org is for deaf and disabled. www.uncomfortablynumb.org is for everyone who wants to know the truth about our health care system and what is really going on. I will be writing consistently on both now that I have lost my mother. Thank you for being interested I am sure you will get some enlightenment as would anyone who reads this forum check it out.
Marajak

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?