Desktops forum

General discussion

need help(direction) with hard drive replacement

by rick92647 / April 2, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

New member here. I just replaced a hard drive in a compaq desktop, loaded xp home, and now dont have sound, or recognition of the wireless (on board) card that was operating prior to drive replacement. Downloaded original drivers for wireless card and sound and mb.. etc, and when i go to install them, error message says that "c" drive has no memory, ("c" drive now shows as a removable drive, and the OS is on "H" drive). only have one hard drive.
1.Did I make a mistake on original installation of OS (drive/partition choice) when installing windows?
2. Do I reinstall/format the OS and look for the "C" drive?
3. How can I reassign where drivers are installed? (tried to re-name primary drive from H to C, and windows wouldnt let me.
4. Is this something I can do in DOS?
Thanks so much for any help!
Rick:confused:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: need help(direction) with hard drive replacement
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: need help(direction) with hard drive replacement
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That is supposed to happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 6:40 AM PDT

Microsoft's OS does not have the drivers for all that to work.

-> Next time use the RESTORE MEDIA that came with the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
copy and paste option?
by rick92647 / April 2, 2009 7:42 AM PDT

bob-
wouldnt i have had to use the media restore from prior to new install? I do have the old drive still, and an enclosure I can recover old data from the folders. should I copy all drivers and try and paste into the new H drive? what folders do i retrieve?

Collapse -
How would we do that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: copy and paste option?

There is no accepted method to copy drivers from an existing windows install. We can clone (copy) a drive, we can copy files but drivers have more than files with registry entries and more.

Its good you tried but why not clone the drive next time?

Collapse -
clone
by rick92647 / April 2, 2009 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: How would we do that?

well, i am not a real trained whiz at this, all of what i know and do is done from trial and error.... and reading a bit. Is it still possible to "clone" the old drive if i get it mounted in an enclosure? how do i go about doing that??

Collapse -
Sure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: clone

1. The hard disk makers give away clone software.
2. It's widely written about on the internet.
3. I use G4U about once a week it seems but some run away from a free software that doesn't have a mouse interface.

Collapse -
RE-Install XP
by hotrodkzn / April 8, 2009 2:43 AM PDT

Hi - I am assuming of course that you used your original Windows XP CD to install onto the new hard drive - the reason that you would get your OS 'seen on the H:drive' is quite possibly because you ran the installation whilst you had an external drive connected via USB to your computer during installation of Windows or you had a USB stick or card reader connected - if you have an integrated card reader, please disable it from the bios first - if you have any drives or sticks connected to USB ports, these must be disconnected as well. Only have the CD drive and Hard drive connected when installing windows. But you still need to re-install windows if you don't wish to clone your original hard drive.

A good cloning program is Paragon Drive Copy - you can get a trial version of the internet - many computer magazines offer such programs in a CD/DVD off the shelf for less than

Collapse -
thanks
by rick92647 / April 8, 2009 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: RE-Install XP

I need to remove my post. i ended up re installing xp, and paid attention to the advanced install part. everything is good now.
thanks again!

Collapse -
done
by rick92647 / April 8, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

thanks for all the advice. i reinstalled xp again, and it worked right this time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.